Soldering and gluing pipes under floorboard - advisable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm moving some pipe in the bathroom from a rad and running it to a towel rail.

The boards will go back down, then I'll 8mm ply it and then we've got some thick tiles going down.

Last thing I need is a leak so I'm thinking of soldering my elbows and then sealing the joints with some kind of glue just to be sure and for backup in case in future the joint were to fail.

Are there any pipe repair glues on the market that are reliable? I'm hoping never to need it but I'll apply it to the joint before putting the floor back down anyway.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
'some kind of glue'

Just solder and test. Make sure you wipe the joints/pipe work with a damp cloth afterwards.

Andy

Sponsored Links
More importantly where are you going to buy 8mm ply!

I sincerely hope you meant 18mm ply with noggins for support on all joints :D :D

As happyplumber says, tiles laid on thin ply will crack in no time at all.

I must admit the pros outweigh the cons, incredible spec' - 'Just for copper pro' seems better than the original version.

Got to be prep'd correctly though and must set without disturbing, i'm tempted to experiment with this stuff, maybe on a washing machine or outside tap.

Here's a better vid clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4WQdlSzX8A

What is in the spec doesn't make it the correct product for what the OP is intending.

You would need to be supremely ********ed to use it on a joint that is to be buried.

And yes, I did try it out. Briefly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back