Soldering near 1/2 female to 15mm copper fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have soldered a piece of copper in to a 1/2 female to 15mm copper No.3 fitting. I have put jointing compound on the female thread and screw it in to the male fitting. About 3 inch away from this I now need to solder an elbow to the pipe leaving the No.3 fitting. Will this effect the pipe jointing compound? I plan to put a wet cloth over the No.3 fitting to try kept heat transfer to a minimum.

Sponsored Links
It could do.

I once asked Loctite for advice about using loctite55 near a soldered connection to be done afterwards. They suggested I keep at least 150mm away!

So you are right to try and get as much of a heat sink near the threaded connection as possible. What compound did you use?

using water hawk, it says on the tube it can be used up to 200 degrees c.

Loctite55 is only suited up to 130 degrees so I guess you will a higher tolerance to heat. It's worth trying what you are doing and then watch it carefully when testing!

Sponsored Links
put a wet rag round it and keep heat to a min when soldering if your concerned about it use a compression fitting

So with a wet cloth over the fitting that is 3inches away it should stay below this?

yeah wrap it round it make sure its wet wet not just damp been doing it 17yrs Ive personally not had a problem using that method

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back