soldering problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just recently installed a new 15mm copper pipe feed for my washing machine and dishwasher, i took the feed off my existing cold feed pipe, i soldered the pipes with flux and yorkshire fittings. The problem i have is that i keep getting blue flecks in the drinking water, and worst still i boiled the kettle this morning and it all bubbled over, kind of like soap suds. What have i done wrong and what is it that is contaminating the water, and how long will it last? what do i need to do to fix it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
And how recently was this done? how does the water taste?

Sounds like some kind of contamination to me.

Can't think that one 15mm T could cause this :eek: I would look for contamination from somewhere else

Sponsored Links
bit unussual to have blue bits in sure your not drinking from the washer machine!!!!

jokes aside though has there been water mains works in area has something new been installed on your household supply ect.

might be worth contacting your local water board to see if they have had simular reports or uprgraded the system near you.

i doubt whether 1 joint would create to much of a problem especailly the blue and bubbles.

Extended the pipe work at the weekend, so only just done, had to do quite a long run of pipe so there are a few straight connectors, elbows etc, applied the flux to the inside of copper fitting then wire wooled both ends of copper pipe, then inserted these in to the fitting, incidentally i used quite a lot of flux in the fittings, make of flux is power flux in a yellow tub, no recent water mains work done, my initial thinking is that i should not have put the flux inside of the fitting and only on the outside of the pipe, i also think i used too much and therefore there is still some left inside the pipes, which is reacting with the pipe, could this be true?

Dan_Robinson said:
Doubtfull - its nasty stuff and I would never use it; but it shouldn't make blue bits and bubbles.

See previous two posts.

powerfow flux does deposit bits in the pipework,you must of been very heavy handed with the application of the flux :eek: it also froths and bubbles coming out the taps.was the pipework sitting dry for a while ?
if so the flux hardens and turns a greeny blue,once soldered it lays in the pipe and for some reason seems to coat the internal pipework with a flaky coating.only reason i found this out was due to heavy handed apprentices on a run of jobs.it will dissipate but takes time and effort.

flux goes on outside of pipes not inside of fitting as it goes into the pipe when pushign the fitting on.

flux on ouside wher it is subject to air does goe green in colour ive not knowlege of it going blue though. i would presume it can go green on inside of pipe but ive never see it or heard of it(lack of experience)

chances are it may well be what you originally thought. how to rid it with ease is proberbly change the run again or let it take go natural with water usage.

i beleive their is health risk associated with flux in water, so hopefully one of the mroe experienced guys will advise you.

years ago we done a school,the plumber doing the drinking fountain run used everflux :eek: when the school kids returned some had severe upset stomachs which was traced back to the drinking fountains.

their are two fluxes that will deposit blue bits in pipework if not flushed immediately one is plowerflow the other is bakers blue,my house is relatively new and i get green[everflux] bits out of the taps whenever the house is left for a while

bripl, i think you are right, i was heavy handed with the flux and yes the pipes were left dry for a while, approx 2 weeks, I have run the cold and hot water for some time and there seems to be a steady decrease in the amount coming from the taps, i will have to hope over time the problem sorts itself out, one thing i have learnt is to apply flux to the outer pipe in future and use sparingly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back