Soldering quality concern

Sponsored Links
1. Wire wool can leave fragments embedded in the copper, which can later rust and potentially damage the joint. But is pretty unlikely.
2. Emery cloth / sand paper / wet & dry abrasive can leave small fragments embedded, but fairly unlikely if wiped after cleaning. Particles generally tiny and don't cause much trouble other than stiff joints. (Like mine!)
3. Green / brown "Scotchbrite" type abrasives leave virtually no residue (if wiped), but don't have as good a cleaning action as others.
4. The open mesh (carbide?) abrasive strips clean really well, and don't seem to leave a residue. But they do mark the pipe, and can make compression fittings dodgy if you clean the pipe for the fitting with them in error.

So they all, in my opinion, have pro's and cons. Any of them will do the job, but all need a wipe after cleaning to avoid unwanted side effects.

My personal preference is "Scotchbrite" on new(ish) pipe, and the open mesh stuff on old pipe.

This post has shown just how bad the trade is becoming, soldering a fitting FFS, not exactly rocket science,clean the pipe wipe it clean use flux , solder the joint let it cool, what is so feckin hard

This post has shown just how bad the trade is becoming, soldering a fitting FFS, not exactly rocket science,clean the pipe wipe it clean use flux , solder the joint let it cool, what is so feckin hard
Indeed

Sponsored Links
Been soldering copper pipework for 40 odd years, 8mm up to 67mm and always used wire wool.
This forum just shows the nonsense spouted by the ‘plumber wannabes’ , it’s not hard to decipher the ‘wannabies’ from the professionals.
It’s sad it really is.
Rofl...used wire wool until some bits were left on a sink and ruined it...w/w no better than emery...and it does not cause rust!!!.Thankyou for the work history...You did not invent soldering tho!ps...w/w is shyt

Clean up after yourself and lay sheets over the stainless steel sink FFS.
What a complete idiot, I’ve read a few of your posts so say no more.
Who said I invented soldering? Did I mention emery cloth?
You’re a troll.
Only problem I have is who keeps stealing the wire wool when you move on to the next fitting ?

I hate the feel of wire wool, give me the heeby jeebies and black fingers. Nice rough green scouring pads shines them up a treat and the missus buys them for me, 5 for a £1 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back