Solid beech Worktop Finishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a bit anxious about my new worktop finish. Some say danish oil- which I don't like as it seems to go quite shiny. I would like to finish it with butcher block oil (is this just a clear mineral oil?) but most of the websites and suppliers recommend the former.

Any advice, as evre, gratefully received.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Have look at the post I made, //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160197&sid=b8f89531525cc08c6218d62596a9a601

People on here seem to recommend tung oil rather than danish oil because danish oil is polymerised tung oil with added drying agents which means it doesn't penetrete as deeply into the timber and will end up looking a little bit shiny.

Though if you want a really nice finish then use some 0000 wire wool between the final treatments.

Cheers,

maybe its per post tung oil is recommended rather than per poster ;)

I sanded back my worktop and got the first coat of tung oil on, the sanding was a bit laborious, but its on its way now.

Though when oiling should the oil be "slopped on" and then wiped off, i.e. applied generously so there will be something to wip off after 20-30 minutes or is it expected that only in some patches there will be oil to wipe off?

Cheers,

Martin

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for that, in the end found Sadolin Wood Worktop Oil which (so far- touch wood!!) has worked out fine. Needs oiling regularly but frequency is now slowing down. I have a table made of beech and have treated it like this for the last ten years and has only needed oiling once a year after the first six months.

all good and kitchen looking a beauty :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back