Solid construction wall over chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I bought a 30 years old house a few months ago. The landing upstairs was very creaky and about 2 months ago I had someone to nail the chipboards.

This improved for a while but we went on holidays for 3 weeks leaving the heating low and I think this caused that they are creaky again.

Today I decided to lift the carpet and follow some of the advice in the forum to see if I could fix this myself. Some of the chipboards are broken so I think the only solution would be to replace them. Anyway my surprise came when I realized they run beneath the solid construction wall, at least where I checked.

Is this normal? How on earth a brick wall can be sustained over chipboards?

Now my problem is how can I replace all the boards in the landing and what would be the best replacement for them?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Bit shadowy the term "beneath a construction wall" could you be a bit more descriptive, or better still a photo?...pinenot :)

Hi pinenot,

thanks for your reply. I know I was not very detailed but actually the wall sits literally on top of the chipboard. I do not have a photo of the joint between the wall and the floorboard but in the video below you can see what I saw when i lifted a damaged piece of chipboard.

on top of that there is a brick wall...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=A349C9079FE427DE!36020&authkey=!ADyRhSxXEA9mYRU

hope this gives a better idea

To answer your original question then the answer is no it's most certainly not usual, in fact it's downright wrong. We will realy have to get some pics of this and ask more questions from there I'm afraid...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again,

the only reason I can think about is that this is a partition wall without a wall beneath, on the ground floor. This wall extends to one bedroom wall that has a wall below. Maybe this provides the stability to this section on the wall.

I will lift the chipboards during the weekend and investigate further. I hope this is the only wall in this situation.

anyway what would you recommend to replace the chipboards?

There' nothing wrong, per say, in reusing chipboard flooring. The manufacturers advise gluing all the joints, this is to prevent squeaking for one thing, so go with that and things should be fine.
I'm wondering if the brickwork was added in situ at some time, and the flooring (already there) used as a staring platform with the bricks tied into this existing wall somehow. The whole thing seams so unique who knows what else you may find...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back