Solid core cables - What is their code?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I want to rewire a couple of sockets after doing some redecoration, and I'm struggling to find what is the 'code' for solid core cables. I've used 3183Y cable for lights and other appliances, but for the cable inside the walls I've read that is better to use solid core.

I'm planning to use use 2.5mm cable as there are 2 sockets per plate.

Any thoughts are welcomed! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answer nusku and PBC,
I'm looking at something like that, where all 3 cables have are sleeved. The only reason being that there's some parts of the house that use this type of cable... and I would like to be consistent :)... obviously, I didn't but that cable, but whomever refurbished part of the house a few years ago (maybe 10..20?)

Sponsored Links
Yes, France uses a cable which has a green/yellow earth throughout the cable rather than bare. So do Australia & New Zealand, but their cable is more like British T&E in overall appearance (except that at least some versions I've seen put the live ("active" as they call it) in the middle.

If we can see a picture of the existing cable we might be able to identify it more precisely. But does consistency matter for a cable hidden in the fabric of the building?

6491X ? I don't think its solid core in 2.5mm² though and they are singles...

Its definitely not just not the stuff listed above with sleeving on the CPC?

Failing that what about NYY-J?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back