Telephone cable v Alarm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question.
I want to extend my Master socket and Ive run out of dedicated BT cable, what would be the problem if any, if I used Alarm cable instead. When I say problem I mean in terms of cable performance....Im not unduly concerned about the cutting of the phone feed as it looks like it was done in a major rush anyway.
I could even use 2 cores per 1 feed if necessary. I know BT cable is solid and alarm stranded..... You usually get a better flow with stranded as I recall. Answers appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Colours will be different, might cause confusion later.

I don't know if stranded will Krone.

The proper cable is so cheap! Send me a pound and I will stuff some in an envelope for you :LOL:

Thanks for prompt reply.... I know its cheap but all my local wholesalers are closed now and I want to do it today :LOL: Stranded will Krone but not very well..you have to tightly twist it first. If you lived local Id pop round and pick the cable up he he.

you dont need to twist it at all, since the idea of a kroneing tool is that you krone it with the insulation still intact.

colours, use white and blue

Sponsored Links
Thats true but on previous occasions Ive tried to use the crap plastic Kroning tools that come with phone accessories. They are good for only a couple of times but when they start to wear away it gets messy. I did have a proper one but it got pinched and Ive yet to replace it.
My main concern and I should have mentioned this, is that when Ive reached the new Master socket destination, I'll be putting a Broadband filter into it hence my concern on performance. It will probably be ok but I thought Id get it confirmed.

i wouldn't move the master socket using anything other than full BT spec CW1308 (1308B if running outdorrs) 3 pair (BT don't use 2 pair) cable and BT (or GPO) marked junction boxes (in their original locations or otherwise) unless you enjoy BT blaming you for faults.

as others here have said its not the worlds best idea to use stranded cable with sockets or junction boxes that have IDC punchdown terminations (if you have some cat5 arround though that should punchdown fine and has the benifit of being able to take two lines complete with ringers)

is there any particular reason you need to move the master socket?

Now I could be wrong, but isn't phone cable twisted pair to reduce interference, where as alarm cable isn't?

full BT spec cable is but i dont belive most of the cheap phone cable the sheds sell is and it doesnt seem to be too much of an issue.

A BT engineer once told me that telephone cables are not affected by mains or anything else no matter how close you put them. This came up when I was explaining why we use multi compartmental trunking.
The cable coming into my house was installed by BT 3 weeks ago and its not twisted pair. Its a black cable that been clipped into pinplugs on a white rendered wall 12" from my front door and looks awful which is partly the reason for removing it. Im rerouting it to go into my loft (Bungalow) where I will refit the JB, then I'll run the 3 pair I have from there to the Master socket. I'll try it and let you know what happens. The pair coming into the house are orange and white and they connect to Blue/white and White/blue respectively.

Plugwash wrote
is there any particular reason you need to move the master socket?

Yes.... Its a lash-up and I dont want them back to rectify it...As for faults and them blamimg me, A) its a rarity that faults happen and B) If one develops I'll give them the ol....Its always been like that mate.
Also, I want to move the PC and its quite a distance.

B&Q only seem to sell that awful flat phone cable nowadays, it is 4 core, flat, single insulated, and feeds into RJ10 plugs (i think) which come with a little metal jig that forces the plug's pins down into the cores. I have used it in our house, it is OK - i would rather have used something more robust - double insulated round cable. I haven't had any trouble with broadband either, my router says attainable speed is 5Mbps, of course i can only connect at 1 'cos of my subscription.

I also used one at work, to extend the paypoint terminal's phone wire across the checkout, and it hasn't caused any problems. I think our phone system is sufficiently robust that quality of cable doesn't really matter. Get some bellwire to feed the master socket. :LOL:

As promised I said I'd come and tell you how it went and the fact I'm here at my new desk with a new PC bears testament that it all worked fine.
Thanks all for your inputs

Pat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back