Extending Alarm Cables

Some have a strobe connection +ve and -ve but some only need one connection as the supply (usually +ve) is shared.
Of course you could still have a strobe wired across the "Bell" terminals but would only follow the bell signal if activated
I'm accustomed to it being operated by the bell signal prior to the 20 minute timer
rather than follow say internal sounder output or "Set Confirmation" etc.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You probably right, they are, in my experience, different terminals in the control panels one time for bell -ve usually and one untimed (until manually reset) for bell -ve. Most but not all were perm +ve and switched -ve some used a common +ve for both and some separate . If you had a "Foam Guard" detector in the bellbox you could wire it into the bell tamper return circuit or a separate circuit if you want a non global tamper output from it.

=

You probably right, they are, in my experience, different terminals in the control panels one time for bell -ve usually and one untimed (until manually reset) for bell -ve. Most but not all were perm +ve and switched -ve some used a common +ve for both and some separate . If you had a "Foam Guard" detector in the bellbox you could wire it into the bell tamper return circuit or a separate circuit if you want a non global tamper output from it.
Which reminds, we chose to add a LED, permanently lit, to our bell boxes. Well the front box was easy as it had 12V for the battery but the rear didn't and having wired with 4 core there were no spares. However it occured to me there was a permanent current flowing in the tamper loop and checking the panel PCB quickly established the very basic circuit of a resister in series with all of the tamper contacts monitored by a logic gate lent itself to reducing the value to increase the current meant a lit LED or 2 in circuit was possible.

Ahh Goody, we used to put LEDs Hi Bright on bellbox fronts run from +ve and -Ve supply vis a drop down 1K resistor too. some are still lit 35 plus years later.

Sponsored Links
Ahh Goody, we used to put LEDs Hi Bright on bellbox fronts run from +ve and -Ve supply vis a drop down 1K resistor too. some are still lit 35 plus years later.
Certainly one of mine is, as it happens the first system installed, however the system itself was decommissioned a few years back but leaving the LEDs running on the panel. That will have been since about 84 or so. Oh wow about 40 years impressive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back