joining thin stranded

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
This is about the thin white functional earth tracer wire on MEM RCBOs.

Current load is negligible.

It looks like (say) 0.5mm stranded. If I need to extend it, it is smaller than any of the crimps I have. I was thinking about weaving the strands onto a bit of bell-wire and soldering them, then applying heat shrink (though it is also smaller than anything I have).

It might be comparable to joining Alarm wire.

Is there a better way?

(and don't say twist them together and smother in tape :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean stranded bell wire?

If so then I reckon twist - solder - heatshrink is going to be absoloutly the best way to do it.

No red through crimps? You can solder or if you want to or if the terminal is accessable you can use terminal block (not as nice tho).

Sponsored Links
I have got some red ones, and a CK ratchet crimper to fit, but these wires do seem terribly small... and they're stranded. I've never done anything smaller than 1.5mm solid core before.

the white trace wire is very thin and lighly insulated... do you know the stuff I mean?

I suppose I could extend the heatshrink over the new section (this is for use when it has been cut back too far and needs to be extended to reach the earth strip... these RCBOs are a bit too expensive to scrap :oops:

Ring MEM on 0161 652 1111 & ask them for a bit of the same wire to extend it with.

JohnD said:
I have got some red ones, and a CK ratchet crimper to fit, but these wires do seem terribly small... and they're stranded. I've never done anything smaller than 1.5mm solid core before.

The red ones generally go down to as far as 0.25mm², what make are they? If you are worried of the connection you can always double the wire over on itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back