Extending 2 port valve wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking at extending the wires on my Honeywell 2 port valves. I have three so have to extend two of them.

A quick search found that I could use two twin and earth cables to make up the six wires but I would rather just use one cable if possible.

I vaguely remember someone saying that perhaps I only need 5 of the wires so can I get a five wire four or five core and earth cable?? and what sort of size?

Lastly what shall I extend them with? Shall I buy some crimps and terminals or use some sort of junction connecting?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need 5 core flex.

0.75 or 1.0 mm.

Ideally you need a 6 terminal 20 amp junction box, or an enclosure in which you can fit 6 amp terminal blocks.

Either way, the cables need to be securely fixed so they can't be pulled out of the box.

Thanks

I wasn't keen on screwing junction boxes on the wall If I could help it but if needs must I shall. Its only a utility room I suppose!

So it's true that I only need the five wires out of the six on the 2 port valves?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not exactly, Robbie. But you can get a 7-core flex for the job, if you really want use just one cable (using a joint box at both ends).

Youl'll need: one common neutral, one common earth, one common live to each micro switch, two switched lives to the motors and two live returns from the micro switches. 1+1+1+2+2 = 7.

Lucia.

Sparkwright: could you explain to me the reason that you've said that only 5-core would be needed?

These are two independent valves. They can share a common neutral and a common earth connection, but the signal to each motor has to be independent as does the return from each micro-switch. So it's 7-core.

Lucia.

Thanks P.O.D

Not sure on the joint box? So do the 2 port valves actually have seven wires?
I was just wanting to extend the wires by just using one wire per valve back to the central terminals. Is that what you were thinking to?

No Robbie, a 2-port valve doesn't have 7 wires. But you're on about extending the connections for two valves from one position to another using just one cable, aren't you?

Therefore, you'll need, a common neutral, a common earth, a common permanent live, a switched live to each motor and a live return from each micro-switch.

Five core won't do this.......

Lucia.

Sparkwright: could you explain to me the reason that you've said that only 5-core would be needed?

These are two independent valves. They can share a common neutral and a common earth connection, but the signal to each motor has to be independent as does the return from each micro-switch. So it's 7-core.

Lucia.

Yes.

I made a mistake.

Couldn't you get away with 6 core???

Common Perm live
Common Neutral
Common Earth
Switched live to valve 1
Switched live to valve 2
Common switched out (demand) - these are commoned in the wiring centre anyway!

Yes Noz, you could use 6-core - if you could source it for a reasonable price. 6-core is very rare and generally comes in sizes from 4mm upwards. Whereas, 7-core is a 'stock item' in 0.75mm size.

My advice to the O/P is to use two lengths of 3 core&E, if he's a DIYer.

Lucia.

You did at least have the correct theory on the number of cores, Noz.....

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back