Moving ceiling rose

as the customer had asked me for a house rewire estimate but had someone else rewire it.
When I mentioned this I got the "Oh they were cheaper" and then I asked why they did not get them to troubleshoot it they replied "We tried several but they never got back to us and we know that you are more reliable" Well no thanks not on that occasion I would not be thank you very much.
Sadly it is by no means the only time that I have been asked to repair a cheaper competitor`s absolute cock up. Cheeky gits!

I have never set out to be the cheapest or the dearest. I give what I consider a fair price both to myself and my customer. I would never engage in a race to the bottom or pile it on if I think a customer might accept it.
i have been in that situation many times but oncommercial jobs where nthe situation is very different, however the customer is ususlly on some sort of time scale problem and expects to pay a premium, however it's usually 3 or 4 times the usual price... 'for fitting them in'

You need to learn that one ;)

Sponsored Links
As a side issue, the pic in post #1 seems to show the pointy end of a screw poking up from below and dangerously close to a cable.

I would like to move the ceiling rose in my bedroom to make it more central. This will require extending the existing wiring, but I would like to know the safest way (and within regulation) of doing this, please.

Usually, none central, would suggest the lighting point is towards the outside, near the window. In which case making the lighting point more central involves shorting the cable runs, rather than lengthening. Can these cable not be shortened, without need for joints.

If you follow the cables back from where they came, do they run in the direction of the new rose position?

IE, could you disconnect them and redirect them to the new rose?

Sponsored Links
It depends on who did the wiring and what constraints they had when doing it - say only certain boards up and a heap of furniture left in that room or adjacent rooms. I`m not suggesting it doesn`t work out as you said but what I`m saying is not always though. But it could be sop worth a look to try for.

Thanks again for all your comments.

So, I wonder if this happened when my consumer unit was replaced in 2008. Maybe the electrician just wired it up the wrong way around when he put in the new CU. I have no other explanation.

I have had electricians in since to install downlights in my bathroom and kitchen and they never said anything.

As suggested, I have just re-wired the bedroom correctly so the new T&E is (L to L / N to N).

@Alec_t, that screw made me laugh when I saw it - it was so close. It's now been sorted.

@Harry, the center point has changed with the addition of built-in wardrobes, so it needs to move further away towards the outside of the house. I thought I might as well, seeing as we were re-decorating anyway.

Red to Brown and Blew to Bits - is sometimes a useful thought too.

Yes, if L & N are transposed then most stuff works OK and even switches On and Off OK but changing a lamp (Bulb) means the lamp holder (Bulb holder) might still be L when you doing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back