Solid floor repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so we have removed a low (1.2m) wall in our kitchen and I need to make good and blend in to the existing floor as its now a new walk way whats best to use? its approx 900mm wide and about 300mm deep from edge of floor to back of old brick.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
IMG_1502.jpeg

Hope that makes sense, the cavity is packed out with some rubble but can be emptied or filled more if need be, the new door frame will eventually sit on the left just before the conservatory tiles. the height of the floor is about an 1" again I can take the old brick mortar out of the brick I have left it there for now.

You have a concrete floor with a poly DPM on the right and an unknown floor on the left.

What type of finish flooring (if any) is going on the concrete floor?

The cavity rubble can be lowered from the top by approx. 75mm.

The new door frame can come with a suitable threshold - various thicknesses are available. But any threshold would depend on what you intend for the concrete floor?

What exactly is 1" lower than what?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the unknown floor? if you mean where the writing is that mortar on top of the brick. further left is tiles.

we will be putting wood or tiles down still undecided

new door will be upvc so stub cill will be used as its an access to conservatory.

the brick is approx 1" lower than the floor on the right.

where you say poly dpm does that mean I don't need put a loose dpm down?

thanks

The confusion about left and right was mine, i apologise.

You can raise the lower brickwork by using semi dry sand and cement mix as a screed on the remains of that skin. First damp down with a little PVA or similar to give a key.

If the frame is pushed towards the conservatory a few mm's on the "Door Here" brickwork, it will give a ledge for the new flooring to rest on after spanning the cavity.
FWIW: in the doorway you can use a single piece of polished wood for a kind of pre-threshold meeting on one side the door and on the other side whatever flooring comes up to the doorway - just a thought.

The polythene is below the concrete slab and can be seen peeking out at the edge. No loose DPM needed.

Good idea about the slight overlap on to the left bricks will give more strength. I could always level it the full width I guess just means the door will be sat on the concrete instead of brick.

If I use a piece of 2 x 1 to get the straight edge and level to that it should be ok?

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back