solid flooring and a flood - help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came downstairs this morning to find a radiator had leaked during the night. Water has got under the newly laid floor ( about a fifth of it)and is seeping up in the joins which is causing what appears to be staining and some minor swelling. I believe the wood will swell even further. The oak floor was laid down using glue just 6 weeks ago.

Now do I just wait and see what happens? Or is the floor ruined? The floor is laquered so shall I wait to see if it dries then sand down the floor and re laquer? Are there companies out there who specialize in this kind of work?

I haven't contacted the insurance company yet. I thought I would ask for some expert advice first. Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Contact your insurance now!
Ask if you can lift up some of the boards to make sure all water can evaporate before it makes things worse. Most insurance companies appreciate 'damage limiting' measures being taken by the home owner

The problem is that its not on one end of the flooring. Its smack bang in the centre ( to one side ) of the room so I would have to lift up 2/3rds of the floor to stop it spreading further.

I take it then the floor is ruined? Will it just keep swelling and cause more problems?

I take it that what needs doing is to rip the whole floor up, somehow get rid of the glue and start again? Not to mention I would have to take the skirting boards off again and replace them. And, to make matters worse - the flooring continues into two adjoining rooms. Sounds expensive and time consuming.

Update: The insurance company said I am insured so it's just a question now of finding a company who will do ALL that work. Just when the extension has been finished too. Typical!

Sponsored Links
Still the best thing to do is to remove the now affected boards to give the moist a chance to evaporate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back