Solid fuel stove and Central Heating back up system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are wanting to install a solid fuel Rayburn stove to run our CH and DHW system.
We however wanted to have a back up way of heating the boiler during the summer when we do not need the heating but just to provide hot water.

What would be the most feasible way of doing this. :?:

We had just thought about using a gas heat exchanger for this purpose. Would this work :?:

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Immersion is by far the most economical. I don't have anything against SF Rayburns, as long as you don't have an electricity supply. otherwise it is better to keep cooking and water heating separate.

Sponsored Links
id disagree, whats wrong with a SF rayburn. the only prob i could see is, reseting the immersion stat now and again.if a system is designed well it can work quite well. iv see alot around these ways, designed not so good, but still have worked for years on end providing heat and hot water.if the source of fuel is good to get.

What's wrong with all things which try to cook and heat water at the same time is they have a conflict of interests. Cooking needs high temperatures while water heating is a low temperature exercise. There is also the considerable waste heat which has to be dealt with. It's even called a "heat leak". SF waterheaters of the simple sort also have the problem of corrosion in the combustion chamber if not run correctly, and it takes some looking after to do it.

i know what a heat leak is. the rad of the primarys etc.alls im saying is how is heat from a free source say wood etc. its free heat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back