solid fuel stove problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to install a solid fuel stove ..my problem is that i cannot chase the ground for the return and therefore have to run both flow and return up into attic of my bungalow and then drop down to my cylinder in hot press. i will be doing it open vented with an f&e tank etc. did u come across a similar set up before.the plumber has not looked at the job yet,i waanted to find out if it was do able first...the pipework will be inch ..air vents will be installed at high points for commissioniong and a 3 bar blow off as an extra safety precaution next to stove[piped to outside] a friend of mine is a plumber and this was his ideas on the job..he said it is not an ideal set up but it will work fine as long as the pump is running... if pump fails then the expansion pipe will take the excess heated water and the cold feed will let cooler water down to the boiler????

Sponsored Links
High level return can be done on a gravity circuit - but probably not for solid fuel . Needs a HETAS bod to verify or not. I wouldn`t use any vent other than open to air on solid fuel and I might just - in my own house - fit a LARGE feed/expansion cistern BUT it would be steel and have a big overflow to safe area outside . This would act as a heat sink if the fire " ran away" ... NONE of these comments refer to an acceptable or legal way to do an install.... Just what I might do in my own home .

cheers for the help.. why would the larger tank be a help??? what about the 3 bar blow off etc...

I wouldn't bother with hetas as most of them haven't a clue. Just get a good plumber who knows his stuff and be willing to fork out the readies.
Simples.

Sponsored Links
standard gravity job.are you running heating aswell, if so , makke sure you dip the flow on the heating side.

Large Metal tank would act as a safety reservoir of water which could reach boiling point with a solid fuel stove . Don`t trust those small plastic feed tanks particularly. . Now`t wrong with safety valve . as well as open vents . just I wouldn`t use auto vents . ;) . IT`s the drop into the hot press that is the problem, the return pipe on the gravity circuit needs to be above the ceiling too ( as you mentioned). You`ll need to take the flow up high in the roof and possibly raise the cylinder. Hetas another waste of time for a piece of paper then, :LOL: . IF I could work out how to put a drawing onto this forum - I`d do one for you. :oops: :oops:

If you go down the pumped route you need to make provisions for heat dissapation in the event of a power cut. A heat leak radiator could be added to run off gravity, although the whole thing could be effectively run off a gravity system.

This diagram was drawn for a differant set up but has a similar principle.

Providing your flow is installed correctly, the heat loss through the cylinder should aid the circulation.

Sam

If you go down the pumped route you need to make provisions for heat dissapation in the event of a power cut. A heat leak radiator could be added to run off gravity, although the whole thing could be effectively run off a gravity system.

This diagram was drawn for a differant set up but has a similar principle.

Providing your flow is installed correctly, the heat loss through the cylinder should aid the circulation.

Sam
ah your a star sam mate.. the difference from the diagram is that my cylinder is on the ground floor and i must go up ,across and back down to cylinder and back up across and down to cylinder. really appreciate your help dude!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back