Solid Oak Floor on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I intend to lay a new solid oak floor (John Boddy Timber) onto concrete. The concrete has been laid above 8" of well compacted hardcore, 2" polystyrene insulation slab and a top quality DPM. The concrete was laid 12 months ago and is bone dry.

The concrete is flat and level but does have a few ripples from tamping and so I intend to fix 6 mm wbp ply to the concrete and then glue the oak to this. My question is: how well does the ply need to be fixed? Obviously screws and plugs but how many per sheet? This perhaps sounds silly but as I have 150 sq. m. plus, this is going to mean an awful lot of drilling and screwing!!

The floor is, by the way, nearly 10 m wide.

Thanks for any suggestions which will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Nearly 10 meters wide means it is too wide to install Solid Oak floorboards safely. You'll have to change direction of the boards halfway and use a loose tongue to keep the two halves "connected", plus you need at least a 35mm wide expansion gap around the whole perimeter of the Oak floor.

If still possible, switch to wood-engineered boards!

Nearly 10 meters wide means it is too wide to install Solid Oak floorboards safely

Apologies for the dumb question (I was just lurking, and don't have 10m of room to floor) but why is this?
I'm going to guess that it's to do with expansion of the oak boards?

Cheers
Scott

Yes, quite correct.

It seems that around 5 m is the safe maximum after which you need to install a loose tongue.

I am obviously going to have to look at engineered boards since a change of direction in the floor would look terrible.

Sponsored Links
Think you misunderstood the switching of direction here Stan44 - my mistake for not explaining properly.

You normally start the installation with the tongue of the boards towards the wall. In wide areas, such as yours, halfway you turn the direction around - meaning you have two grooves facing each other (hence the use of a loose tongue) and then you continue to install the boards with the groove facing the "starter wall.

But still think it is best to switch to wood-engineered boards.

Edit: hope this image explains it better
b3a93a47-7c9b-42a6-8741-b069ea189b6c.png

Many thanks. Yes, I had misunderstood - old age etc.

I have had a good look at as many previous posts as I can and am fairly sure I understand all the relevant points. I will, however, e-mail you direct just to be sure.

Thank you again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back