Solid Oak Flooring - Needs sanding and Resealing - Help reqd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I laid solid oak flooring as a floating floor over concrete about two and a half years ago. It was laid in my kitchen and unfortunately has not worn very well. It has lost its colour and finish in the areas where there is heavy 'traffic' and also where the kitchen table and chairs are constantly sliding in and out etc.... It has also been cleaned a lot !!
I need to sand it back and re-apply a finish of some sort but I dont have a clue what type of product to apply to it. I need something relatively easy to apply but hardwaring !! Having three kids and two dogs constantly in the kitchen the floor takes a lot of punishment !!! Any advice or help would be extremely gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Besides cleaning (water?) did you apply a maintenance product once in a while? (Like every 4 -5 months?)

Easy to apply and hardwearing: HardWaxOil. Don't sand with a grit higher than 120 grit when you want to apply oil, sand with 150 grit if you choose varnish or lacquer.

thanks for your reply. I have never applied anything to the wood as a maintenance product.
The floor aint going to need much sanding as it is back to bare wood in most places.
I am planning to sand by hand before applying a finish. Which is easier to apply the Hardwax oil or lacquer/varnish - and which will be the easiest to maintain ????
Thanks for your assistance !!!!

Sponsored Links
Great - HardWood Oil it is - any particular types recommended or any tips aon applying it ??
Was also interested to know if anyone has any experience with sanding - hand or machine ??? Want the easiest way but dont want to 'bugger-up' the appearance of the grain etc etc !!!!

If scratching & scuffing isnt too bad, use a handheld machine. But you may find a few deeper gouges which you can sand out by hand, laborious but worth it. And dress it properly afterwards, follow tin instructions to the letter.

Or for quickness use a big floor sander, but be prepared to lose a good mm or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back