Solid Oak Flooring Underlay - Urgent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Folks,

Last weekend my brother (Gas Safe registered ) and I installed a new combi boiler, piping and radiators.

I took the decision that whilst I am doing all this work and having to rip up old laminate and carpets that I might aswell lay solid oak flooring once heating was installed.

I have the T&G 19mm oak flooring sitting in my house ready to be fitted.

My question is what type of underlay should I use, The flooring will be nailed to my existing wooden floor boards.

A quick repsonse is appreciated so that I can get stuff bought and get this flooring down asap.

Sponsored Links
Put celotex/kingspan between joists supported by battons. This will provide insulation and sound proofing to some degree. Now you just nail the floor down to the joists.

A word of advice regarding wood flooring.

(a) Best to let the flooring aclimatise to the room where it will be laid for a week before its laid.
(b) Make sure the floor is flat (thats flat - Level is something else). Get a big long dead straight bit of timber or a laser and make sure the joists are not a various different heights. If they are and you try and fit the flooring you may have problems fitting it and it may look like a dogs breakfast when its fitted. If the floor is not flat you will need to sort it out either before (preferred) or during using packers (not the way to do it)

Enjoy

Thanks for the reply Steverog,

However im not laying directly to the joists. I am laying on top of my existing floor boards and Im looking for an underlay to sit between those floor boards and the new solid wood flooring.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You're going to nail your new boards onto your existing boards, so any underlayment you use in between will be rendered useless due to the force and angle of the nails - it will simply flatten and do nothing at all.

Are you installing perpendicular to the existing boards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back