Solid plywood internal door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone made a solid plywood internal door?
I am thinking of replacing an internal hollow core hardboard door (about 2000mm x 760mm) with one made of solid birch ply.
Im struggling to find anywhere that sells single sheets of 35mm birch ply so was planning on cutting 2 18mm sheets to size and gluing them together (using a series of CLS timbers spanning the board and screwed at the outsides as a clamp).
2 problems spring to mind but i hope this wont be big deals:
a) Difficulty bonding 2 18mm sheets together, i figure as long as the edges bond well a few gaps in the middle wont make a huge difference
b) I figure the door will be about 35kg so will screws be strong enough to hold the door onto the hinges?

If anyone has ever tried this or can see any obvious issues i would appreciate any comments.

I like the look of birch ply (esp the end grain) hence reason to go solid rather than face existing door.

Sponsored Links
Do you need such a heavy door? Any objection to using three layers of 12mm, leaving air gaps inside to reduce weight?

I had thought of using 2 sheets of 6mm ply over a 24mm ply frame but this worked out more expensive than 2 sheets of 18mm.
I could make it from 2 sheets of 12mm for the faces and the frame, not sure how much weight this would save and doesn't work out much cheaper.

Main concern is screwing into end grain of the ply, goes anyone have experience of screws not holding?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back