Solid wall 1900's house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a circa 1900 brick built semi detached house. Walls are 9" solid and are in the main, in good condition. Outside has no render, pebble dash or paint.
All internal walls, barring some limited areas around windows have a pale, I assume lime-based render with a poor surface finish and contains some grit when examined after removal.
I have recently done a beginners course in plastering so I know the basics BUT I also know where my knowledge is limited. I have plastered over the lime render on the internal walls of our bedroom as a practice area - I also had to repair some areas under the window where a Rad was using Thistle bonding coat. I used Thistle Multi finish as a top coat with varying levels of success.... practise makes perfect.

Anyway, I need the stair way and landing skimming but lots of the render is blown and not stable for a top coat. I've had two lads round to quote for the work. Both said it would be fine to use thistle multi over the top of the render once a stable base coat is applied.
Having read the wiki and then various subsequent pages of advice on here and other plastering forums I'm worried that this is bad advice. The Lime lite and Dry coat products are too expensive to consider for a potentially large area of repairs to the render and I don't want to seal them in with a gypsum based multi finish only to have damp problems in the future.

If it helps, we intend to use a vinyl free paint finish to decorate and should funds allow in the summer, a stormdry product to the external walls once they are dry (compared to winter) therefore allowing the walls to dry and require little breathing.

Any advice would be welcome before I get back in touch with the plasterers. Reason I'm not doing this job myself? I want it done right first time.

Sponsored Links
We've had loads of rooms plastered and patched in our last two houses, both of which are of a similar era to yours.

The plasterer has always used normal bonding coat to pack out and then thistle multi finish on top and we've had no problems at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back