Solid wall insulation options (project leftovers)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pops has asked me for help insulating his solid walls. (I've done K18 on 2x1 battens in my 30's house few months back and was such an easy job - Apparently this now makes me the family expert on all things insulation!)

Anyway, he over-ordered on the GA4070 for his hoooge loft conversion a few months back (done by a local builder) and has about 6 sheets left -just enough to do walls in 2 bedrooms on ground floor of his bungalow. I've double checked the calcs and min thickness on insulation for his walls is 60mm (like I have used).

He's only looking at doing this because he's got all this extra material lying around otherwise wouldn't bother.

Now obviously from the installation instructions this particular insulation slab type is used in stud walls/between roof rafters/in cavities on new build so requires mechanical support of some kind-however making a studded frame drastically raises the U value above the 0.3 required by BC. Am I OK to achieve a similar composite slab to my own K18 in the following way?:

1. 2x1 vertical battens fixed to wall to create a 1" air gap (and the extra 0.6 on the compsite slab R value).
2. Put the insulation board up
3. 12.5mm plasterboard on top then 100mm drywall screws through the whole lot into the battens.
4. 3mm plaster skim

Sound OK?

If an additional vap barrier is required where in the composite should it go? Would adding this affect the purported 0.6R gain of the foil face on the insulation board against the air gap layer?

(Or should I just tell him to try and sell the leftovers and buy K18 if he's that desperate to insulate like I did?)

Thanks for advice

Dave

Sponsored Links
Your spec is fine. You could either include a vapour layer (1000g poly sheet) between the board and the insulation (the rule is vapour barrier on the warm side) or you could seal the insulation joints with vapour tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back