Solid wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks i'm converting an old single skin concrete block outhouse to a 2 bedroom guest room/ teenagers den. Looking for the best insulation options, want to eliminate any possible damp problems if i can. How about a stud wall that leaves a cavity and then airbricks on the old solid wall ?

Sponsored Links
Hi folks i'm converting an old single skin concrete block outhouse to a 2 bedroom guest room/ teenagers den. Looking for the best insulation options, want to eliminate any possible damp problems if i can. How about a stud wall that leaves a cavity and then airbricks on the old solid wall ?

I helped a friend do something similar. We built 2x2 stud walls just off the brick, with 50mm foil-covered Celotex between the studs, then plasterboard and skim. If it had been my job I might have put an extra 25mm celotex over the studs, under the plasterboard, to avoid cold bridging. With the insulation in place (edges sealed with tape or expanding foam), you shouldn't, in theory, get condensation behind the stud work. We didn't put air bricks in, and I wouldn't have thought this was necessary unless you think there's a serious risk of dampo getting in from somewher else.

What are you doing about the ceiling? Does the building have a ceiling?

Cheers
Richard

Looking for the best insulation options, want to eliminate any possible damp problems if i can.
Put the insulation on the outside.

No condensation problems, no cold-bridge problems, no hassles with services (cables and pipes) having to penetrate it, no hassles with being able to fix things to the walls, the room does not get smaller, the walls become thermal stores. All good.

Sponsored Links
That's how to apply it internally, but EWI is also an option, and has a number of advantages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back