solid wood floor v engineered wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm new to this (1st time house buyer) so pls b gentle with me!

i've got 30m^2 of groundfloor to cover. i'm torn between solid wood floor and engineered wood floor (i don't want the high density "laminate"). i've done some searching on the internet and can't find any impartial info. e.g. one solid wood website said all engineered products are rubbish/flimsy and don't have the lifespan. and a supplier of engineered flooring said solid wood products are impractical as they will warp over time.

are there any other pros and cons?
i guess price is a factor too, but not THAT important to me.
basically i want something that’s hard wearing (oak/beech)? and isn't going to warp and is sandable incase i want to change the colour in the future.

it sounds like a need an engineered product but is the floating floor as robust as face nailing?. also can you get solid flooring in tongue and groove so i could secret nail/floating floor?

i would prefer tongue and groove i think as the house is very draughty/dusty etc.

thanks for any help!

cheers,
tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back