Solid Wood Flooring on 'New' Concrete....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, :LOL:

I intend on laying some solid wood flooring in a new house. I've been told that I may have to wait months for the concrete floor to be an acceptable moisture level before I start laying.

Anyone know how long approx?

Sponsored Links
depends on :
how damp floor is
average temperature of room
humidity of room

for argument sake, you could have all windows open and have lots of through wind this would be quicker than windows shut and no wind, it is impossible to give an exact time with out knowing all above.

gustimation is next best thing.

my guestimation 1 - 6 months for it to be completely dry

Thanks for your quick response. I know its all guessing, but when you say 1-6 months is this from the time the concrete was poured? The floor itself
has been down 7 months already.

Or do I have to wait another 6 months from the time I actually move into the house, i.e. I can have the central heat on and the windows open etc. to help the drying process. Again I know its all approximates.

depends how it was left before you moved in. if in damp enviroment then it will be longer.

what floor covering have you now?

Sponsored Links
I've only just moved in this week so it is still bare concrete. The windows have been in for 5 months if that makes any difference. My plan was to seal it first with 'Durabond' to keep down the dust levels. Maybe I should get a professional in before I do anything :(

If you can get hold of a damp meter, then ensure that the concrete has less than 12% humidity then you should be fine, the foam underlay will also help, but you must ensure that the conc is less than 12% humidity. WRT how long this takes, its anyones guess, 'cos that depends on so many factors. When my conservatory floor was laid last year we in the UK had a real hot heatwave, the conc was off and cured in 3 days! conversely, it could take up to 6 months. As in the last post Good luck!!

You could hired a industrial humidifier if the level of humidity is too high.

Excellent, I think I have everything I need to know now. Cheers Breezer, EddieM and Masona for the info!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back