Solid wood worksurface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As my kitchen saga continues, ive realised that i havent quite measured up correctly, as i was expecting all worktops to be 6oomm deep, However it turns out that one set of wall units has been stood off the wall to make them run level

I measured the worktop and it needs to be 630mm deep, will i be able to cut some strips of an off cut and screw/ fasten them to the back of the 600mm wide worktop? Its a solid wood, butchers block style worktop I plan to tile and use a small trim to cover any inperfections and i am getting a joiner in to do it hopefully tomorrow or friday, but im worried about it now, what do you think?

Andy

Sponsored Links
If you need to add to the width then I'd get the joiner to do the "extending" bit as the job requires either an overhand planer (a static machine) or at least a power planer and a hand jointer (a type of hand plane abouit 22in long) to ensure that the faces of the timber are exactly square and straight. You also need a good accurate chopsaw to stand even half a chance of end butting the ends of the add-on strips cleanly, some heavy T-bar sash cramps to cramp it all up and finally a sharp jack plane and belt sander to clean-up the joint when you're done. The glue will need 24 hours to set before cleaning up, so I'd suggest ringing your joiner and forewarning him - personally I don't carry sash cramps around unless I know they will be needed. And they're rarely needed on site

Scrit

I go along with everything that scrit has said, but I am puzzled by your reference to tiling.
Firstly why tile a solid top. ?
Secondly it won't matter to much about the joint for extending the work top if you do decide to go down this path.
Or have I misread your post in some way?

You did indeed misread the post, i plan to tile the back splash after the worktop is fitted, so this will give me maybe 10 and 15mm then use a trim to cover the joint of the wood if required.

Thanks for your advice will ring the joiner and let him know
Andy

Sponsored Links
You did indeed misread the post, i plan to tile the back splash after the worktop is fitted, so this will give me maybe 10 and 15mm then use a trim to cover the joint of the wood if required.

Thanks for your advice will ring the joiner and let him know
Andy

Ah! :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back