SolidWoodKitchens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ordered a complete set of carcasses and doors. All flat pack as are many others. They promise the highest quality, but what arrived was fit only for the bonfire, in my opinion.

Customer services is un-reachable. However, I did receive a call from a very rude person who was also completely un-helpfull.

After writing to the MD, I have since received replacement units, but they are no better - in some cases even worse ! They will not refund - it's off to small claims court.

Solid Wood Kitchens is also known as Interior Designs of Rossendale. My advice would be STAY AWAY.

I have pictures if anyone would like to see.

Sponsored Links
Ordered a complete set of carcasses and doors. All flat pack as are many others. They promise the highest quality, but what arrived was fit only for the bonfire, in my opinion.

Customer services is un-reachable. However, I did receive a call from a very rude person who was also completely un-helpfull.

After writing to the MD, I have since received replacement units, but they are no better - in some cases even worse ! They will not refund - it's off to small claims court.

Solid Wood Kitchens is also known as Interior Designs of Rossendale. My advice would be STAY AWAY.

I have pictures if anyone would like to see.

If you paid by credit card try a section 75 claim under the sale of goods act first, should be easier.

Sponsored Links
Link to the album ...

//www.diynot.com/network/asylumdweller/albums/

Just a sample.

They say no one can match them on quality and price. I sure hope not !

Yes, they are veneered - that is what I was expecting. Actually, they are more like block-board. Not MDF or chip board, but I wish they were !

The veneer on the edges is paper thin and in some cases coming away. The veneer on many corners looks like it's been worn away. The general finish is rather poor.

I've built kitchen cupboards from oak veneered plywood 25 years ago - they were far better than this stuff. Also bought and installed an Ikea kitchen, so I'm not exactly new to this.

Those are some of the worst I have ever seen - I've ripped out 30 year old units that were still better than those pictures show.

The Sale of Goods Act will get you a court order for the costs through the small claims courts, however is it a company that can fold up and relaunch the next day as a new entity, taking its debts with it? As mentioned, pursue a section 75 refund if you purchased with a credit card as they will be jointly liable. If they refuse to refund for any reason (which is very unlikely) then they can be named on the court claim too.

Do these guys trade online? If so could you clarify the online trading name/style they are using? Or are they operating only from a retail unit?

I don't normally get into forums but wanted to let everyone know about Interior Home Designs of Rossendale. I manage a company called Rossendale Interiors, 40 years trading in Lancashire, very respected. We started getting calls last August from customers who had bought kitchens from IHDR and had googled the name and found us. They all told the same story. They were attracted by 'low price kitchen' ad in local paper, they had rep out who charged £100 for a 'design' but said it would become the deposit if they ordered. Those that did order were lulled into doing so by the promise that they could check the delivery before paying. The kitchen was delivered boxed, the driver insisted on immediate payment (cash or draft), the customers unpacked the boxes after the driver left and found the kitchen was far from being right. They googled IHDR and came up with us. The many calls that we got initially have dropped since we put a statement on our website saying it wasn't us, essentially they took advantage of our good name. Same goes for Kitchensuber, using a similar name to a well respected company called Uber Kitchens in the West Midlands. There is a network of companies all connected to Martin Sersen and Vance Miller. They prey on peoples hope to get a cheap deal, they lull you in with promises and low deposits, and then take your money. I had one of our fitters check a fairly small kitchen delivery as an exercise - even though he was familiar with the units, it took him over an hour to check every item. We still get calls, but mainly for help and advice, which I am happy to give. My advice would be, use a company that accepts a credit card, at least then you have some protection. Pass on any info you have to Trading Standards please!

We have also been caught out by this scam for in excess of £2k - can anyone offer any advice on how to go about the small claims court process?

Sarah, you have to do it online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. It's pretty straight forward, but costs about £80. I'm already in the process. Even so, there's no guarantees and I might be wasting more time and money. Not just going to let it go, though.

The same company also spams forums. I'm a member of a kayaking one, and they turn up regularly there trying to sell their tat via spam postings, despite being repeatedly banned.

Not surprised the quality is this poor, given their approach to marketing....

One to avoid!

Feel really sorry for those above who have been caught this way.

Thanks for the heads up! I have always been wary about ordering online but it seems some of these scammers have become sophisticated enough to appear legitimate.

Sponsored Links
Back