Solo 2 pf30

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is 14 years old but it's always had its annual maintenance and a few repairs when necessary.

In the last few days it started making a short high pitched sound - like a balloon where you're letting the air out very slowly - it wasn't continuous, just a couple of times. Yesterday, it started leaking - a slowish drip coming out of the back of the boiler. After I had turned everything off, the drip stopped (no more water when I looked this morning). What could be wrong with it? Any advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Fan bearings likely to be making the noise + possible rainwater ingress. Did you have alot of rain around the time you oticed the leak?

Fan bearings likely to be making the noise + possible rainwater ingress. Did you have alot of rain around the time you oticed the leak?

Many thanks! Yes, you're right! It was raining very hard yesterday. But there was no apparent leak above the boiler or upstairs - I checked. And behind the boiler is a party wall. But it's a consideration. I'll try turning the boiler on and see if it still drips.

And thanks for mentioning the fan bearings - very helpful.

Replacing the fan should be done by a registered gas engineer as its part of the "gas train".

The flow on a non condensing boiler like yours should slope downwards to the outside by about 3° to reduce the likelyhood of rainwater entry.

If you check your flue slope you may find that its been incorrectly fitted.

Tony

Sponsored Links

Once, again - many thanks. Yes, you were quite right about water ingress - rain coming through vent and into back of boiler. Engineer is going to put something like a little canopy over the vent to stop more rain getting in. He heard the noise and felt it had something to do with pump (when it first starts up).

Its not a normal solution to fit a canopy and it has to be high enough above the flue to still meet the regulations.

The normal solution is to corect the flue slope if its wrong.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back