solution for wc in new garden outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi .
i am planning in building a garden outhouse (12m x 6m) at the bottom of my garden to use as a gym/studio. i have plans to put in a shower room with a wc. the outhouse is about 25m away from an existing manhole. the run looks virtually horizontal. what will the fall have to be and can i run the wast on hand basin/shower/toilet all into one pipe to the manhole.
i know it may be a basic question, but a bit of knowledge can't be bad..

Sponsored Links
If you can't get the required fall, you may like to consider a Saniflo system? All waste can be discharged through a small diameter pipe, up to 100m horizontally.
Cheers John

hi john.
the saniflo solution doesn't fill me with confidence as many of my friends who have such a system have experienced reliability problems. are there any other solutions, maybe an external pump in a manhole build near the outhouse. anyway what will the minimum fall have to be?

Sponsored Links
You can dig a 1m cube soakway for the shower and sink, and use a chemical toilet which you can get from camping stores.

Shower and sink waste has to go to a foul drain. Only rainwater can go to a soakaway.

It would be far cheaper to fit a saniflow and a 32mm discharge to the nearest manhole.

If your outhouse has a shower and WC then the LA can charge you council tax on it. One customer was paying 50% of the tax on the main house. He was renting it out though ( like most of his neighbours.)

Tony

Shower and sink waste has to go to a foul drain. Only rainwater can go to a soakaway.

Bit worrying that. Worked on a site about 3 years ago in which the architect's specifications included a soakaway for a shower and sink in the customer's outhouse - this was passed by the BCO at the time!
It would be far cheaper to fit a saniflow and a 32mm discharge to the nearest manhole.
Same site - when questioned about using this, the BCO banged on about the waste pipework having to be buried 750 below ground for the usual reasons, which would have meant an uphill invert into the inspection chamber, which saniflow do not recommend at the end of the run, as you well know.

My advice was based on this experience, and if it is indeed incorrect as Tony suggest, I am happy to stand corrected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back