Solvent plastic pipe problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum had a leak coming through loft hatch in ceiling, went up had a look and come across 15mm plastic pipe that was fitted together with solvent. Can anyone tell me if this type of pipe is quite common because I went to plumbers merchants and all they could offer was 15mm speedfit or overflow pipe (which it clearly wasn't!). Would like to know if you have to buy different kind of pipe for solvent weld than speedfit and if speedfit fits this kind of pipe because when I measured the solvent pipe it was 16mm wheras the speedfit is exactly 15mm.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a water supply pipe because when I turned the water off by the mains it stopped leaking.

I saw some plastic pipe like this in the loft of some council flats... it looked like grey solvent weld pipe feeding mains cold to a cold water storage cistern... no kidding... changed ball valve and had no problems... but never seen this stuff any where else and wouldn't know how to connect toit... compression might work as long as you had an insert to stiffen the pipe first... sorry I cant help any more than that!!

Sponsored Links
seen it quite a few times down here i think hunter made it back in the 70s,to be honest we ripped it all out and replaced with copper.if you can find the nearest compression fitting either end and replace from there.

if it is grey and says classE 16mm on it then you need a 3/8-15mm kuterlite compression fitting. but the insert could be tricky cant remember but i used either a class d or c insert used for plasmo fittings, hacksawed the bulk of the insert, and used the 3/8-15mm compression, fitting it worked a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back