Solvent weld repair in a tight spot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just noticed that the waste pipe from our kitchen sink is seeping badly from what appears to be the join from an elbow to the waste pipe which then exits the wall to the down pipe. The plumber kindly built up a series of turns using elbows to keep the run close to the rear of the cabs as the kitchen is tiny (narrow) but long.

The whole section is made up of solvent weld stuff which was fitted by a plumber 4-5 years back, we have a waste disposal unit attached to this which i think during use has created some pressure and weakened the joint producing this leak, as we had overflow into the sink before the leak appeared on the floor.

It is of course in a tight spot and I mean back of the cupboard at arms length, tight spot, well it would have to be right, so I'm having a hard time to see where it is coming from exactly or check it out much more that know its coming from the join on this particular elbow.

My question is, I have some solvent left over from when I fitted out the bathroom a year to two ago, not sure if the stuff goes off but hopefully if its ok, could I in theory dab it liberally around the neck of the made join and hope it is enough to reseal - obviously I'm aware you are meant to only brush on to the areas that mate when fitting but what are the chances that this will reseal and will not melt the pipe completely through? If not I'm going to have to cut this back and buy some new pipe and rebuild this all to the sink and I'm really concerned that I don't have much pipe leading to the exterior wall to connect a new compression or solvent join onto.

Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
It won't melt through the pipe so give it a try if you like, I'd be amazed if it worked though, and even if it did it would probably be only for the short term.
In other words the best answer is to try and renew it.

Like sooey says It's not likely to melt through the pipe so worth a try. Main thing is to dry and clean the joint as much as possible first a bit of Methylated spirit might do the job. I have seen it done on a condensate pipe joint and it worked ok.

Methylated spirit has an affinity with water so may help in removing any remaining in the gap you can't dry out, Methylated it's self evaporates dry very quickly without leaving a residue like white spirit.

Then apply several coats of solvent glue allowing it to harden between coats.

Otherwise Denso will do the job smooth it out by hand after wrapping but boy is it messy! White spirit will remove it from tools etc.

Good luck,
footprints

Sponsored Links
Better off with an external leak sealer I reckon.

Continuing on the solvent theme, what about cutting up a 1 1/2"fitting to fit over the leak area and glue that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back