Some advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, got a problem as usual.. installed a firebird enviromax combi 6 months ago been running fine customer happy as larry - till today. Got black smoke coming from the boiler she say's oh dear say's me. I asked if she'd had a delivery recently yes last week. I checked the tank for the usual suspects - ok checked pump pressure, oil flow changed the nozzle checked the flue for blockage no all ok. I know it will have to be cleaned out now but will it continue to smoke till it's cleaned out or am I missing something, I'm quite new to oil and everyday seems to throw up new challenges I've not come across this before oh and yes I set it all up correctly when it was installed I have all the gear to do it, but still learning just how difficult this work can be and not as easy as it seems..........

Sponsored Links
Full clean out.

It will be a real mess if it is sooted up. Dust pan and brush job.
If the boiler keeps running currently it will eventually choke itself
as the soot will block up the baffles.

Replace nozzle and run the boiler. See how it starts running if
it is still chucking soot out. Measure oil pressure to make
sure that is set correctly.

Give it 15-30 minutes of running to clear some of the remaining soot
out and then set it up again.

You might want to try one of these soot buster things. Haven't tried
one yet. They are supposed to clean out the combustion chamber of soot.

Have you checked they put the right grade of oil in the tank.

Sponsored Links
No that is a concern of mine I thought if I took some "good" oil with me and run it up on that for a while and see what happens, other than that I don't know how to check the oil quality - seems funny how its run 6 months then get a delivery last week then soot.

Check the delivery ticket for starters.

The oil supplier can check the oil if need be.

Had this round our way last year, one firm was supplying some right **** old oil, as soon as it got in the boiler it changed everything, all settings were out, air, had to be altered to compensate, said let it run down then when new oil in we'd go and recheck

"Check for any leak inside the boiler combustion chamber.
Or blocked condensate"

condensate can do - in the combustion chamber oil or water oil i presume ?

It say's just that "burning oil" I looked that up and it's just another way of saying 28 sec so thats ok although that is no guarantee thats what ts in the tank I suppose. Would the thick black smoke start suddenly or would it gradually build up over time ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back