some advice on fitting a 180 degree opening door needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Its been a while since ive been on here but a new (old) house means I am back.

Bit of an unusual one and difficult to explain so bear with me.
If you look at the diagram hopefully it makes sense.

We have an open plan office which, at the moment includes the top of the stairs area. This helpfully has the radiator on the wall which stops us putting the door in the standard position.

What I was hoping to do was fit door A to the wall as shown and for it to swing across the stairs and block it off. but also to be able to swing back past 90deg to meet Door B.

now bearing in mind I would ideally like the door flush to the wall when it closes off the stairs is this possible using wide butt hinges or something similar or would I need to put a frame on the wall to prevent the door catching the wall.

Any advice would be welcome
Thanks door.jpg

Sponsored Links
probably not you need a landing behind the door a square the same size as the stairs width
although my brain is frazzled at the mo
as this is commercial the regs are more strict

when you say landing to you mean a door frame?
its not commercial the room is just used as study

ok home office

the landing is a floor area on or connected to stairs to give safe transition from one area/level to another
if a door opens out onto the top off a flight off stairs you need a square landing between closed door and step

Sponsored Links
The radiator does cause a problem in that we cant have the door shutting in the normal position.
As the doors will only really be used when someone stays over, the idea was to have two doors that meet in the middle, then I realisised I could use one door to shut off the stairs and then swing around to meet the other door to shut off the room for privacy. It will very rarely be shut at all.

Sliding door running along the wall between the office and stairs?

Foxhole:
the problem with that is that then the fireplace is blocked off- hence the 2 small door meeting in the middle option.
Chud:
that could work but I would have to cut a notch out to fit the radiator.

But what I really want to know is how I can fit a door with 180 degrees swing.

thanks

thanks nozzle and magic.
would I need to use a baton to move the door from the frame or can I screw direct to the frame?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back