Some advice on Heatrae megaflo 300 PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would someone advise me whether a price for putting in a Heatrae megaflo is correct please. I have been quoted £3250.00 to install a Heatrae Megaflo 300 and that includes flushing at a cost of £340.00. I want to have it done very soon, I just want to know that I am not getting ripped off. It seemed slightly expensive as I saw the Heatrae megaflo on the net for £1200.00. And also how long should I expect disruption to my house?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Andy67 said:
Would someone advise me whether a price for putting in a Heatrae megaflo is correct please. I have been quoted £3250.00 to install a Heatrae Megaflo 300 and that includes flushing at a cost of £340.00. I want to have it done very soon, I just want to know that I am not getting ripped off. It seemed slightly expensive as I saw the Heatrae megaflo on the net for £1200.00. And also how long should I expect disruption to my house?
Thanks for any help.

Hmmmm........ I know of a guy who does new build fitting and he does 3 a day at £500 each (not including bits). At £3250, I'll do it, where do you live. I take my tea weak and no sugar thanks.

The Megaflow is made by Heatrae Sadia who also make Santon unvented cylinders which are quite a bit cheaper. As for the price of installing it depends on lots of other factors. Whats your water pressure / flow like, what size water main have you got, and where is the cylinder being located. There's no point in buying an unvented if its not going to work correctly.

oilman and compheat, Thank you for such quick replies.

oilman you mention a guy that charges £500 each to install on new builds but is this the same as someone coming into my home and fitting it? You also mention bits, how much are the bits?

compheat all I can say is that this company have told me that I can have the Heatrae megaflo fitted and as far as I can gather they surely wouldnt fit it if it wasnt going to work properly? Or would they?

OK lets try again, all things being equal, am I being ripped off or not?
oilman has made me doubt this company and already I am having second thoughts. Anyone with anything further to add PLEASE help.

Sponsored Links
The price does sound a lot, but like i said it depends on a multitude of things' get a second quote. where are you based

Flushing at £340 included. Why? Are you having a new boiler as well for that money?

Now I'm lost....!

No Brentwood, we are using the existing boiler. Are you saying that the sytem doesn't need to be flushed? If that is the case then I am being ripped off!

Chaps please bare in mind that, I know how to turn the radiator valves up and set the timer, but thats about my lot, thats exactly why I am asking for professional advice.

I just thought this Heatrae megaflo was an upgraded version of the cylinders that we have alays had in our houses ?

I will call a couple more companies tomorrow and see what they say, thank you all for your advice.

Flushing is for radiators., you may need it, or not. But certainly nothing to do with the Megaflo unles they think draining the system could be a problem...?

If you have a Megaflo put where the old cylinder was and its easy to get at, and the CH system wiring is all accessible, and it back onto an outside wall with a drain handy, and the incoming mains is really close to the new tank position, that makes it as easy as it could get. No bits required apart fom pipe and a few pipe fittings.
A day's work for a man and lad (they're heavy), and plumbers like to make a big fuss about the special training, so I'd have thought £400 upwards for the fitting work.
If it's going in the loft and there's nowhere for wires, and the run to outside is a swine, and you need a new mains pipe runing through the house and on ond on, then keep multiplying a day rate..

£1400 for bits?? Don't see what that could be for.

ChrisR said:
£1400 for bits?? Don't see what that could be for.
Well if you take £1200 for the cylinder, then £200 should allow more than enough for everything else.

Andy67 said:
Now I'm lost....!

No Brentwood, we are using the existing boiler. Are you saying that the sytem doesn't need to be flushed? If that is the case then I am being ripped off!

I just thought this Heatrae megaflo was an upgraded version of the cylinders that we have always had in our houses ?

I will call a couple more companies tomorrow and see what they say, thank you all for your advice.
Upgraded? they work on mains water pressure and do away with the cold storage cistern in the roof :idea:

Andy67 said:
Thanks for any help.
Hi my company is OLIVERS PLUMBING+HEATING corgi and oftec registered, me and my 2 brothers, have been in partnership for about 23 years, we've installed megaflo's including powerflushing, for around £2.850 so i think the price YOyou show of £3250 is ripping you of just a bit. if you have any questions give me an e-mail and i am happy to help, many thanks. OLIVERS

Andy, did you not get a price before work commenced? A price given to you is either satisfacory or is not, in which case you look elsewhere.

A lot of workers will maintain their work to be top notch when it is in fact third rate. Someone like this charging you what you are being asked, will certainly be ripping you off.

Someone who takes pride in his work, uses copper runs where bends are pulled, installation is BG notified and things are done by the book and care and attention is first priority, can certainly charge an amount like this as his install will be for 'life' and not just for the warrenty period.

I sell the Megaflo for £1083 + VAT on my shop as others tell you a straightforward change would add £500 max to this price :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back