Some Advice please chaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fellas,
In my opinion the house i am working on at the moment, the suppliers side of things is in bog order.

16mm tails from an ancient looking box, no modern cut out fuse in sight, virtually non existent bonding.

The work i have just first fixed is completely independent of this consumer unit.
A new ringmain, a lighting circuit, fan, smoke alarm (batt back up)
Fed from a garage type consumer unit, 32A and 6A, 63A RCD 30Ma.
This in turn fed from a seperate 40amp breaker near the main consumer unit.

The 16mm meter tails were fed into a henley, 25mm from CU into henley, and a spare way left over
(henleys already there)

Few questions.

1) Would you juice this circuit up on 16mm tails, and then advise customer to seek an upgrade, or would you not juice up at all?

(PS this property is a 6 bed detached with about 4 dining rooms and a football size kitchen)

2)Im happy with writing a certificate for my work, after 2nd fix next week though, he wants me to start work on all the other circuits that have been removed, they are hanging off the wall, and nothing seems what it should be, also walking around this house there seems to be a JB in every other corner, with loose wires....
The consumer unit is jam packed with about 12 circuits and not one is identified

To be honest lads, i dont really fancy this job, but im stuck with it, how would you approach it, would you insist on a PIR first...??

any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
I would suggest carrying out a PIR before any work is carried out. My main concerns would be bonding, rcd protection etc.

Is there an existing test sticker on the existing consumer unit? probably not!

RMS

RMS, absolutely nothing, there was virtually no bonding at all..
Everything jam packed into a volex board with not a label in sight.

YOU SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLING ANY ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT WITHOUT MAKING SURE BONDING IS UP TO SCRATCH BEFORE YOU START.

The regulation number for this escapes me at the moment.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back