Some advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have posted some bits on removing a chimney breast. Whilst making some holes in the ceiling in the 1st floor back bedroom i have noticed that in front of the chimney breast in the ceiling there is a wooden joist that runs next to the floor joists in the ceiling and ontop of this joist is a brick work wall that has been built that covers the front of the chimney breast and then goes up into the 2nd floor room, this wall runs across the joist into the 1st floor front bedroom and again upto the front of the chimney. My assumption is that this was done when the house was built, which is 1900 victorian property and it was done so that in the 2nd floor which would have been the loft it gives a full width wall rather having the shape of the chimneys narrowing off then out of the roof. I just asking if this saounds right. Loft area has always been one room and was done when the house was built. I hope this makes sense. I think this wall was done to give a square wall to work with on the top floor, i think.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
Good evening.

Does the wall at second floor level have any load bearing requirement, is it holding up the roof or any of the roof frame members?

Does the wall at second floor level form part of a wall shared with another property, eg a mid terraced property. If so, it is probably a party wall and a party wall agreement is required before anything can be done to it.

Does the brickwork at second floor level form any part of the front of the chimney stack? Or is it just another wall, ie if it was removed would there still be the chimney stack brickwork behind it?

In summary:
(1) is the wall a party wall? If it is don't touch it until you have a party wall agreement which would require a structural engineer's advice.
(2) if you were to remove the chimney above, would the wall have any load bearing role, does it support roof frame fro example? Again if it does then a structural engineer would formulate a plan for removing and supporting.
(3) does the joist hold the first floor ceiling / second floor floor joists in place at the point where they meet the chimney breast? If so, the joist would ned to be replaced with another support if it is to be removed or altered.

Perhaps this assists? Please click on the "thanks" button if it does. Do you have any pictures?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back