Some advise needed please....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....we have just bought a drayton RTS 1 room thermostat, and are not sure which wires go where.

On the thermostat there are three connection points : N L and 3-switched live output. common is L - demand is 3 - N neutral. And we have yellow red and blue wires. Could someone please advise which wires go where. :oops:

We are trying this thermo, because we have our CH on a timer in the airing cupboard, and is timed to go off at certain times of the day - But we have noticed that when the timer switches itself off upstairs, and the thermostat is touched, downstairs, the thermostat overrides the timer and turns the heating back on. I know that this shouldn't happen and wonder if anyone has any advise on what to do, as obviously while i'm at work, i need the heating to be off. :confused:

Thanks
Mandy

Sponsored Links
Mandy12 said:
I know that this shouldn't happen and wonder if anyone has any advise on what to do, as obviously while i'm at work, i need the heating to be off. :confused:

Thanks
Mandy

id imagine that the clock and stat are wired in parallel now, so either 1 can switch the heating on. changing the stat isnt gonna get round this. what you need to do it at the main controller (possibly wiring behind clock is backboiler, in boiler if combi) wire the stat and clock in series, so both have to be 'on' for the heating to come on

Thanks for that.

We don't have a combi boiler - We still have an emmersion heater, Not sure which wires to change over behind the programmer tho, so that both work together.

Thanks again.
Mandy

Mandy12 said:
Thanks for that.

We don't have a combi boiler - We still have an emmersion heater, Not sure which wires to change over behind the programmer tho, so that both work together.

Thanks again.
Mandy

take front off programmer (im guessing you have a white siemans? or is it large box with 2 switches and time clock?) and tell us what wires go where. really, all you have to do it take 2 wires outta 1 terminal and put them into a terminal block.

pic would be useful aswell

Sponsored Links
andy said:
Mandy12 said:
Thanks for that.

Thanks again.
Mandy

take front off programmer (im guessing you have a white siemans? or is it large box with 2 switches and time clock?) and tell us what wires go where. really, all you have to do it take 2 wires outta 1 terminal and put them into a terminal block.

pic would be useful aswell

Thanks Andy

We have a large box with water controls one side and heating controls the other side - We can select - On - Twice - Once or Off - It's an ACL lifestyle model LP522

It has 6 connectors - Black goes to N - Red goes to L - Green /Yellow goes to 1- There isn't anything in 2 - Blue goes to 3 and Yellow goes to 4
I really appriciate this - It's going to save me money on heating bills.

Mandy

there seems to be a lack of cables there... do you have any other control boxes for the heating? maybe a box next to a water pump or cylinder if you have a fully pumped system?

pic would be useful, dont think used that controller before and not sure of the wiring to it

EDIT: and what are the cables? is there a 3C+E and a T&E?

andy said:
there seems to be a lack of cables there... do you have any other control boxes for the heating? maybe a box next to a water pump or cylinder if you have a fully pumped system?

pic would be useful, dont think used that controller before and not sure of the wiring to it

EDIT: and what are the cables? is there a 3C+E and a T&E?

Yes we do have a box next to the pump, but it's all starting to baffle me a bit - It's been doing my head in really, trying different things - I think i'll just have to call an electrician in to sort it out.
Thanks ever so much for your help Andy.

Thanks
Mandy

Is the thermostat downstairs the only stat in the house ?
Do you have thermostatic valves on the radiators to control temperature
,if so this stat might be for frost protection and used to bring on the central heating as an override measure for protection.On the stat it should have different settings ranging from -5degrees - +10/15 degrees ,some i have come across have higher temperature settings than +15 degrees,or some one could have fitted the wrong stat in the first place.
In some older installations i have come across they did not fit a thermostsat as the trv's were used on the radiators .

Mandy12 said:
....we have just bought a drayton RTS 1 room thermostat, and are not sure which wires go where.

On the thermostat there are three connection points : N L and 3-switched live output. common is L - demand is 3 - N neutral. And we have yellow red and blue wires. Could someone please advise which wires go where. :oops:

Thanks
Mandy

N - Blue
L - Red
3 - Yellow

Gasman1015 said:
Mandy12 said:

Thanks
Mandy

N - Blue
L - Red
3 - Yellow

and how do you know how its connected at the other end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back