Drayton Room Thermostat - will not activate heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I am hoping I am asking for some very simple advice. We have a gravity fed water/heating system with an electronic thermostat in the lounge for the pumped heating. The thermostat display in the lounge constantly played up so I have opted to replace it with a more simple thermostat that doesn't need batteries with the Drayton RTS 1.
I am certainly no electrician but believed I could replace this without any dramas.
After turning the power off I removed the old thermostat from the wall exposing a black and red wire. I connected the new thermostat with the black going to the N and the red going to the L on the RTS 1. This all went well without any dramas.
Now, when turing the dial on the thermostat a 'click' is heard which I assume is the relay BUT this is not activating the heating.
Can anyone please help as the wife is not best pleased and it is getting cold!

Sponsored Links
You need to make 3 connections to the RTS1, Live and Neutral as you have and a switched live ( call for heat ) on terminal 3. Live and Neutral supply power to the thermostat and the thermostat connects Live to terminal 3 when heating is required.

If there are only two wires in the cable then the RTS1 cannot be used. Do NOT use the bare CPC ( earth ) wire.

I was sure that this thermostat could be used in a 2 wire setup but you have confirmed that this is not the case. Thanks for taking time out to reply.

Sponsored Links
If the orignal was battery operated you may not have a neutral.

In theroy when using two core cable for line and switched line the neutral coloured cable should have a sleeve to show it's not neutral but often this is omitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back