Thermostat removal for new Drayton Wiser system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have emailed Drayton Customer Care and had no response so any help will be gratefully appreciated.

I am looking at purchasing the Drayton Wiser 2 channel System to give me more control over the central heating. I wish to remove the Thermostat in the Lounge and consequently need to know how to wire the Wiring centre without it.

So to do this do I remove the thermostat in the lounge, then disconnect the wiring from the thermostat in the wiring centre (connecting points 2, 5 and 9) and then make a link connection in the wiring centre from wiring centre terminal 3 (switched thermostat) to wiring centre terminal 5 (ZA5 multi port valve brown wire)?

If anyone could let me know if thayt is correct that would be appreciated.

Wiring is as below:

Thermostat – British Gas Ws4 Wiring

Neutral Terminal = Grey wire with Blue Sheath.

Live Terminal – Brown wire.

Switched Terminal 3 = Black wire.

Multi Port Valve – Drayton ZA5 to wiring centre connectors

Connecting block position 5 = Brown wire

Connecting block position 7 – Orange wire

Connecting block position 8 – Grey wire

Connecting block position 9 - Blue wire

Pictures of system

Picture 1 SHows the wiring at the Thermostat

Picture 2 shows the wiring backplane in the Thermostat

Picture 3 shows the Wiring Centre with the Thermostat & Programmer wiring on the left and all the valve control wiring on the right.

Boiler & Additional Controls

Boiler = Potterton ProMax HE Boiler

Programmer - British Gas UP2 (same as Drayton LP822 which is why I am looking a the wiser system for ease of swap over)

Cylinder Thermostat - Range TS95H30

Hot water pump - Grundfos Alpha2

Box attached to hot Water pipe going to the Cylinder– Range (No numbers)

Attachments

• Picture 1.PNG
    Picture 1.PNG
    651.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Picture 2.PNG
    Picture 2.PNG
    478.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Picture 3.PNG
    Picture 3.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Trace the live and switched live from thermostat so brown and black and join these in the wiring center.

Heating systems are designed in a few different ways, boilers can be turned on/off or up/down, and the home can be split into zones using large motorised valves each controlling a number of rooms or small motorised valves know as TRV's with electronic heads. The Wiser is a flexible system allowing it to be used in many different ways, so there is no single answer.

To convert an existing home often we are limited due to where wires run, we tend to have two areas where control can be wired, around where the boiler is, and around where the hot water tank is, so often we have to abandon the idea of having analogue control (which is better) and have to use simple on/off control.

The colour of the wires in the wiring centre makes me think that is near the motorised valves, there are a number of ways the valves can be used, and we tend to label them by the old Honeywell systems as C, S, W, and Y plans, seems likely you have S plan. We can use 24 volt, 230 volt or variable voltage control, it seems yours is 230 volt, likely the best place for the Wiser base is next to the wiring centre, and since motorised valves come with the cable the colours of the wires of the motorised valves are the best way to work out what you have.

But in the main central heating is a compromise, and you have to decide where to compromise. There is no right and wrong way, it is the way which suits you.

I think the plans are shown in Wiki, job one work out how already wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back