Some bathroom renovation help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
One of my current projects is renovating my dated bathroom. I have hired a builder for most of the finishing work and had a few questions I could use some friendly advice on:

1. How high would you reckon half tiled should be? I am thinking 1.25metres (roughly to where full tile ends). Sound right?
2. How high should I tile around shower? - Shower height to to the ceiling?
3. I am putting in a partition wall for one side of the shower - any views on this?
4. How high should I make the shower partition wall? To the shower height or to the ceiling?
5. Is it normal to run the pipes into the wall? I want to eliminate using a plinth
6. Any recommendation on a powerful flush toilet? (I have teenage boys)
7. Concealed cistern or close coupled?

Phew. For background - it's a 2*2m cloakroom bathroom with no windows!

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
extraction is going to be the thing that stops the mold so make sure its as near as possible to the shower head (above or at the side) and has a great extraction rate (and a corresponding air ingress to replace the air being extracted or you create a pressure differential). For safe measure, use a continuos fan (all mine run 24/7)
Grout is not waterproof, tiles are. Plaster board is not waterproof, but tile panels are (foam or cement)
The height of the wall depends on what's on the other side i.e. is there a good ventilation
running pipes up through the walls is neat but make sure you provide sound proofing (good quality insulation) and make sure the pipes do not touch the wall (this will cause vibration and sound transfer)

For extraction I'm looking at the envirovent silent 100 with continuous on and moisture sensor and overrun timer. Might consider going centrifugal..

The tiler said he will tank the shower area - will that be good enough?

On the other side of the wall is a sink. I am thinking a full wall will prevent moisture going that way and the extractor (close to shower) will deal with the rest of the room.

Really helpful point about insulating the pipes - otherwise dealing with noisy pipes would mean taking the whole bathroom apart again to fix!

What height is the ceiling?
If its 2400 or so then i'd tile the shower to the ceiling. Partition wall- again ceiling 2400 ish take it to ceiling height (it'll be stronger that way as well).
Close coupled will be cheaper/easier to install and maintain (or replace if your first choice isnt up to the challenge).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back