Some Help Please

Thanks for that, will concentrate on the PSU first. As the PC is only 6 months old, is it worth going back to Dell first, under guarantee?? Might get another faulty!! one from Dell, or they might want me to send the whole machine back.

Or is the better bet to go to one of the well known online resources, and get one that way.

I'll open up the machine tonight, and see what is required.

Ta.

Gary

Sponsored Links
GForrow said:
As the PC is only 6 months old, is it worth going back to Dell first, under guarantee?
It's always worth talking to them, and if you have on-site warranty then they're likely to bring a PSU out to you and fit it there.

30mA is required for socket outlets is protection for personell to the regulations.

100mA; and higher is for damage prevention to property e.g. fire. On a TT installation it should be a type S for whole house protection - in addition to the 30mA for socket outlets, which could be used to supply equipment outdoors.

I'd be surprised if a single computer has so much leakage current. Earth leakage is cumulative for equipment, I would question the test instrument; or the technique used for testng.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, but some more info that may be of help.

The electrics haven't tripped at all since the man tested it, until two nights back.

For the last two nights, when I turn off the wall lights in my lounge, the RCD trips. Now the thing that confuses me, is that the lighting circuit isn't on the RCD side, i.e. the lights stay on when it trips. The wall lights circuit was installed by the builder at the same time as all the electrics, and is controlled from a double switch in the lounge.

The question is, Why would a circuit not protected by the RCD, then trip the RCD. Has the electrical company made a balls somewhere, or is it a feature of modern electrics (I doubt). Is it possible that turning the lights off is sending some sort of spike through the system (far fetched)

Is there such a thing as a 30mA RCD with time delay, such that it doesn't trip instantaneously, but waits a millisecond or 3 before tripping, by which time whatever is causing the issue has gone.

The previous excuse for it all tripping was my PC, just the fact its plugged in apparently. I have been going through the memory (slowly) and there isn't a single case of a trip occurring during the night, even with the pc on. It has happened whilst we have been out, so that would have the same amount of equipment on as during the night. Confused!!! Could it be something in the suppy, and should I get the supply company out? Should I get the installer back out for further tests? The system is probably no older than 2 years, the house was a show home before I moved in last year, so no-one could have done DIY on it.

Hopefully some of you brighter electrical people can provide some help.

Cheers.

Bloater

Edit: Thinking about it, when a light bulb blows in the house, this also trips the RCD. Not sure if its relevant, but makes no sense to me

Sponsored Links
I don't know if this is the case with your installation, but sometimes a non protected circuit can still cause the RCD to trip if there is a neutral to earth fault somewhere on the installation. Not much to go on I know, but might be a start?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back