how to find earth leakage in light circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
an electrician replaced the CU in my house but he connected and below what he said and done;
"Lights circuit has an earth leakage which can't be located. So was connected in mcb without RCD protection"
I believe one of the wires that is going from one light ross to another is faulty and need to be replaced.
how to find this wire and where do I start?

Sponsored Links
no he did not. all he said " further investigation is needed

Further investigation is what is required. Rather than Earth leakage it’s probably a damaged cable giving very low insulation resistance

Has he given you an EIC with his test results ?

Sponsored Links
he recommended to rewire the light circuit which I believe is an over kill. all I need to do is to find that piece of wire and replace it whether is the main feed (from ross to ross) or from switch to ross. but I need to know where to start. I have a multi meter

do you mean this one "DOMESTIC ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE"

he recommended to rewire the light circuit which I believe is an over kill. all I need to do is to find that piece of wire and replace it whether is the main feed (from ross to ross) or from switch to ross. but I need to know where to start. I have a multi meter

You need competence and test kit that does insulation resistance for staters

What about the certificate ?

yes i do, here it is
1697640071432.png

Attachments

• 1697639865207.png
    1697639865207.png
    231.3 KB · Views: 117
Interesting.

No Zs for the lighting circuit. Why not ?

Also LIM for the cooker - why?

Could you post a photo of the CU ?

an electrician replaced the CU in my house but he connected and below what he said and done;
"Lights circuit has an earth leakage which can't be located. So was connected in mcb without RCD protection"
I believe one of the wires that is going from one light ross to another is faulty and need to be replaced.
how to find this wire and where do I start?

Domestic lighting circuits, are normally wired as what is called a radial circuit. Which means the wiring goes from the source, at your consumer unit, then works its way around all of the lights on that circuit. Unless the fault has a very low resistance, what is needed, is an insulation tester, which applies an high voltage across the wiring, to simulate the mains voltage.

Usually, the process of finding such a fault on a radial circuit, involves disconnecting the radial circuit, at certain points, followed by retesting to see whether the fault remains or not, so you can decide whether the fault is in the near section or far section, beyond where you have disconnected. The quick way, is to guess where the middle of the radial circuit is, break and test each half - Logically half'ing, then quartering, and so on, until you have got the fault cornered, to a small section of cable.

no it has not but, I wonder why the the light circuits on mcb

Attachments

• 51_CU_1.jpg
    51_CU_1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 105
In view of that picture of the consumer unit, (a bit different than the description and certificate) I would hazard a guess that you might have what we call a borrowed neutral on the stair landing light circuit.

If I am correct, this will indeed require some rewiring of one of the lighting circuits.

In view of that picture of the consumer unit, (a bit different than the description and certificate) I would hazard a guess that you might have what we call a borrowed neutral on the stair landing light circuit.

If I am correct, this will indeed require some rewiring of one of the lighting circuits.
many thanks will start with those lights and see what I can find

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back