how to find earth leakage in light circuits

In view of that picture of the consumer unit, (a bit different than the description and certificate) I would hazard a guess that you might have what we call a borrowed neutral on the stair landing light circuit.

If I am correct, this will indeed require some rewiring of one of the lighting circuits.

Not 100% sure I agree with this.

you could find the fault, fix it and replace the MCB with a RCBO for all the lighting.

How old is the property ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why fix it now?
waiting for the tenants to move out so that we can rewire the whole property. However, they have been looking for alternative accommodation without success. And I do not think they will move out soon as thier daughter with her 2 years old son just got divorced and moved in with them. however, I was told is not a serious issue...

He could but what if there are two cables in the MCB - upstairs and downstairs?
there is only one cable in the MBC for both the downstairs and the upstairs light. would that make it difficult to trace?

this is the inside of the CU. the 1.5mm wire on the far right next to the main Switch is the only wire for both upstairs and down stairs light. one of the ways I would start Tshoot the issue is to move from the far right MCB to the fifth from left RCBO, switch all then lights off and then switch them one by one and see which one trip the RCBO. do you think that would work?

Attachments

• inside_CU.jpg
    inside_CU.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 101
this is the inside of the CU. the 1.5mm wire on the far right next to the main Switch is the only wire for both upstairs and down stairs light. one of the ways I would start Tshoot the issue is to move from the far right MCB to the fifth from left RCBO, switch all then lights off and then switch them one by one and see which one trip the RCBO. do you think that would work?

Leave it alone and employ somebody competent

Whats the one on the far left then?

I'm late to the party and not read all the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back