Lighting Circuit Earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just completed all my new kitchen wiring and had an electrician fit a new Consumer Unit/RCD and had him check my DIY work at the same time. Everything was o.k but for two mistakes on the halogen downlights.
- I connected the lights with connection strips and the electrician tells me they must be connected with 20 amp junction boxes.
- I did not connect all the lighting circuit earth wires together so there is no earth continuity for my halogen light circuit.

I have no doubt that the above has to be rectified to comply with part P etc and I will rectify the mistakes. But, part P aside, is the wiring safe without earthing ? I really cant see the value the earth is adding as the lights themselves do not have an earth connection

Sponsored Links
"the above has to be corrected to comply with part p"

no. "the above has to be corrected to comply with the electrical regs" would have been a more appropriate statement.

The cable earths should be continued or connected with terminal block or in the junction boxes, in case someone fits a light which needs an earth in future. But if the present lights dont need an earth, i dont see how you have done anything wrong WRT the regs.

all points require an earth. In the case of class 2 (double insulated) or SELV the earth is safely terminated at joint box for continuity, but not connected to fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back