HELP: No earth fitted halogen recessed lighting

jig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had halogen lighting fitted in a dining room but the wiring had red and black and no earth. The lights have been daisy chain connected, with transformers then connected to the light.

There is no earth will this be a problem? Am I compliant? Do i need to rip the whole ceiling down to add earth from somewhere :(

Sponsored Links
You have to make sure that the continuity of earth is not broken, you can use a junction box (before each transformer) so to allow you to make sure the the earth in continued.
In many cases if the light fitting is double insulated you should not earth them, there are instruction on each light fitting.
If the outlet of the transformer does not have an earth wire do not add one.

I hope that you are aware that the circuit has to be tested to verify its (your) safety.[/u]

You have to make sure that the continuity of earth is not broken, you can use a junction box (before each transformer) so to allow you to make sure the the earth in continued.
In many cases if the light fitting is double insulated you should not earth them, there are instruction on each light fitting.
If the outlet of the transformer does not have an earth wire do not add one.

I hope that you are aware that the circuit has to be tested to verify its (your) safety.[/u]

Hi Albert,

Thanks for posting. I am cocerned as the feed does not have an earth would that be a prob?

Your basic and very important protection is earth. Must be in the circuit.

Sponsored Links
Even though the fittings themselves don't require a CPC, every connection on the LV (230v) side should have a CPC (411.3.1.1)

A not uncommon "Ooops".

You say the lighting was red/black & no CPC?
o Thus probably done to 13th regs, pre 1966
o Permitted with class-2 devices where no earthed metal simultaneously touchable

Your new lights should be on a NEW final circuit.
o This NEW final circuit would have a CPC provided
o This NEW final circuit would need RCD/RCBO protection under 17th

Obviously at some point in the future this NEW final circuit with earth could be used to "transition" each room to with-CPC as redecorated.

You can not really use the NICEIC/ECA get around with no CPC & new CU.
o In that instance you make the client sign a waver
o You also remove any class-1 fittings & accessories & fit class-2
o Basically returning it to ORIGINAL regulation compliance (13th)

You can run a 4mm 6491X back to the CU, but if you can do that then you might as well run a new cable so that argument is a bit suspect really.

So the best fix is a new final circuit for those lights, FTE.
That gives a migration path for every other room to follow.

Stick a warning label in the CU re the f.c. without CPC, no class-1 fittings.
Need yellow warning label for CU
"WARNING Circuit Nos xxxx do not have provision for earthing
metal equipment. TO AVOID RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT
REPLACE INSULATED LIGHTING FITTINGS OR SWITCHES WITH METAL
LIGHTING FITTINGS OR SWITCHES"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back