Some help with my radiator - Confusion around converting fittings and valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Been trawling the forums and guides for some help but I can't find much with a problem I have.

I'm just removing an old radiator and replacing it with a newer, fancier looking one for the kitchen.
The valves were quite old and leaked when i took the radiator so i went out and got some caps for them.

20180208_210314.jpg 20180208_210309.jpg20180208_210326.jpg ae235.jpg

Specs for the new radiator say
Connection Size: ½ " BSP "

Which got me thinking about how i'm going to drop the fittings from the 3/4" valve to the 1/2" radiator connection.

I haven't done plumbing before so i'm struggling with knowing what to search for and the differences in terminology.

I guess I have 2 paths I can go down:
  • Replace the valve with one which has a 1/2" connector
    • For a novice in plumbing is this going to be easy, I guess i'll have to train the system. Can the current compression fitting on the pipe stay? If i have take the fitting off, do i have to trim the pipe in case it's damaged from the compression? (... not sure if that's a thing)

An
y help or advice would be great!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,
Been trawling the forums and guides for some help but I can't find much with a problem I have.

I'm just removing an old radiator and replacing it with a newer, fancier looking one for the kitchen.
The valves were quite old and leaked when i took the radiator so i went out and got some caps for them.

View attachment 136179 View attachment 136181View attachment 136180 View attachment 136183

Specs for the new radiator say
Connection Size: ½ " BSP "

Which got me thinking about how i'm going to drop the fittings from the 3/4" valve to the 1/2" radiator connection.

I haven't done plumbing before so i'm struggling with knowing what to search for and the differences in terminology.

I guess I have 2 paths I can go down:
  • Replace the valve with one which has a 1/2" connector
    • For a novice in plumbing is this going to be easy, I guess i'll have to train the system. Can the current compression fitting on the pipe stay? If i have take the fitting off, do i have to trim the pipe in case it's damaged from the compression? (... not sure if that's a thing)

An
y help or advice would be great!

So you want a stylish radiator and want to bodge the fittings? Drain down, remove all old valves. Measure for your new stylish radiator, then decide and plan your next move. Cut and re-pipe or bodge it with compression fittings, or tail extensions. I'm sure your local DIY store can help.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I also did a numpty thing and threw away the radiator securing nuts which were still on the radiator that I took to the tip

I think you're describing the "radiator tails". Maybe do a google image search to see what these are and how the various bits fit together.

The "1/2 inch BSP" connection description for your radiator is for the connection between the tail and the radiator, not between the tail and the valve. I believe all radiators have that 1/2 inch thread, but the connection between the tail and the valve (your 3/4 inch) may vary a bit.

Tails come with the valves. So, buy a new set of valves, with new tails. Drain system, remove old valves, fit new ones, etc. etc.
If you've not done this before you will probably get leaks, but don't panic, people here will offer advice. Have e.g. towels handy, be cautious and roll carpets back a long way etc. The key thing at this time of year is to not be left without heating at an inconvenient time, so plan ahead a bit!

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
I think you're describing the "radiator tails". Maybe do a google image search to see what these are and how the various bits fit together.

The "1/2 inch BSP" connection description for your radiator is for the connection between the tail and the radiator, not between the tail and the valve. I believe all radiators have that 1/2 inch thread, but the connection between the tail and the valve (your 3/4 inch) may vary a bit.

Tails come with the valves. So, buy a new set of valves, with new tails. Drain system, remove old valves, fit new ones, etc. etc.
If you've not done this before you will probably get leaks, but don't panic, people here will offer advice. Have e.g. towels handy, be cautious and roll carpets back a long way etc. The key thing at this time of year is to not be left without heating at an inconvenient time, so plan ahead a bit!

Good luck!

Ahh I see! I had thought that was part of the radiator before, but from looking at a few videos I can see what you mean. So I guess in hindsight I should have removed that from the radiator before chucking it!
Thanks for your help, I think I might just get a new set of valves for that then and do some googling to get confidence on how to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back