some pictures for sparks 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

this is one of my favourites

32a mcb-6mm t+e- under floor then along wall into "consumer unit" in garage.

6mm line goes into white mcb/ "isolator" ratings have been rubbed out. From this is a bit of busbar and cable feeding 2 cartridge fuses 1 with 5a fuse 1 with 13a fuse wrong type sqeezed into holders.

These then feed into the "busbars" (former n+e bars) at the top which feed sockets and lighting in the garage. Sockets wired in 1mm t+e lighting wired in 2.5 singles and 2c .75mm flex with earth for fluorescents tapped off skts :rolleyes:

The harmonised wiring was added by a local "spark" a year earlier without comment on the installation to the customer.

Sponsored Links
Although non complaint and dangerous these are all too common.
the wire seen comming through the hole were the socket should have been is 1.5mm flex feeding a box with two sockets that were used to charge radios and also continued to crane top and ran the air craft lamps.
No earth rods at generator. No Earth leakage trip. And cable protected by 63A MCB. It was routed across rough land on a building site and not fenced off in any way.
Best was I could not turn it off because of health and safety as in Heathrow Airport and aircraft lamps on cranes were rather important.
It was replaced by 10mm SYY cable and the MCB reduced in size earth rods were non started as generators swapped so often.

This is what I found when working on a diesal pump I could not believe it the SWA was totally inside the gland so much for work in EXII.

I have been surprised not only on what I have found, but what people will let go. The generator shown had been attended by at least 3 sparks prior to myself and Forman finding it and their attitude was “Not up to me I didn’t do it.” And after I had replaced the flex with SYY on 25 generators I began to wish I had done the same.

And this is the point either one ends up turning away work, Losing money on doing work not ordered, or giving ones self extra work. Any wonder so many Electricians have eye sight problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back