Some queries RE the regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm refurbishing the downstairs of a 3-bed property and had a couple of electricains round to look at getting the electrics finished (and my work certificated).

My day job is as an electronic engineer who has to apply all sorts of exotic BS standards to my designs so I've got the basics - but at the sametime I certainly don't know everything.

So here's my queries from the first two sparks.

1) I should not of used screw down terminals mounted to the 1st floor joist, for the downstairs lighting clusters. These should be loose fitted and removable for maintenance

(I used these as the light fittings are quite sizeable (160 x 400) which to me seems like enough space to access the terminals if needed - I've positioned them for access throguh the cut out.)

2) I can't install a socket 2/3 way up the wall (for a TV) as it must be at an accessible height.

3) My shed supply must be SWA from the consumer unit (not a nearby, internal isolator as I intended)

4) My grid switches (kitchen) can not be wired onto a dedicated 2.5mm ring final incorporating a switched outlet for the fridge and a fused spur for the boiler. Instead 20A radials are needed.

5) My induction hob isolator should be 400mm from the edge of the hob - it's going to be about 250mm

6) I should not of used 1mm T&E for the 1-10v dimming circuits.

7) My light switches must be moved down to 1200mm AFL

Cheers guys,

Sponsored Links
1) I should not of used screw down terminals mounted to the 1st floor joist, for the downstairs lighting clusters. These should be loose fitted and removable for maintenance
If they are accessible for inspection that is fine.

(I used these as the light fittings are quite sizeable (160 x 400) which to me seems like enough space to access the terminals if needed - I've positioned them for access throguh the cut out.)
That's alright, then.

2) I can't install a socket 2/3 way up the wall (for a TV) as it must be at an accessible height.
Yes you can.

3) My shed supply must be SWA from the consumer unit (not a nearby, internal isolator as I intended)
If it's installed correctly that would be alright.

4) My grid switches (kitchen) can not be wired onto a dedicated 2.5mm ring final incorporating a switched outlet for the fridge and a fused spur for the boiler. Instead 20A radials are needed.
If I understand correctly you could although if that is all there is on the circuit there is no point having a ring.
For just a fridge and the boiler a 6A circuit would suffice - but you may want to add other items so just as well go with 2.5mm² cable and 20A mcb.

5) My induction hob isolator should be 400mm from the edge of the hob - it's going to be about 250mm
There is no specific distance specified in the regulations although guides recommend 300mm.
It must be readily accessible in case of emergency.

6) I should not of used 1mm T&E for the 1-10v dimming circuits.
It just depends on the loading.

7) My light switches must be moved down to 1200mm AFL
Not true - only new-builds and total refurbishments.

Are these clowns visiting on behalf of your LABCO?

Have they put this tripe down on paper?

Did you laugh at them uproariously?

Then tell them to s*d off?

whathesaid.gif

Sponsored Links
I'm refurbishing the downstairs of a 3-bed property and had a couple of electricains round to look at getting the electrics finished (and my work certificated).

My day job is as an electronic engineer who has to apply all sorts of exotic BS standards to my designs so I've got the basics - but at the sametime I certainly don't know everything.
But even knowing that you decided to go ahead without learning what you needed to know first.

So what state are you now in regarding getting the electrics finished and your work certified?

What is your BCO saying about the Building Regulations completion certificate?

So here's my queries from the first two sparks.
EFLI's answers are all good, except that your 1-10V dimming wiring is a control signal - I can't see how you would ever need to even think about the loading on 1mm² cable. And socket/switch heights don't even apply to refurbishments, no matter how substantial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back