Some questions about permitted zones for cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some advice regarding hijacking permitted zones for cables.

Let's assume I have wired a ring main with cables running horizontally between sockets at the same height creating a permitted zone between sockets (standard stuff). Can I put additional cables into this zone other that the ones directly connecting the sockets forming this zone? For example, hijack this permitted zone to run a lighting cable say?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Cant see why not.
Only downside would be if you run a different ciruit cable through the back box, you would have to think about making a note of 2x circuits to isolate if accessory is removed.

Reading requirement 522.6.6(v)
My understanding is that you can not, as this cable is not connected to those accessories.
522.6.6 A cable concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm from a surface of the wall or partition shall:
(v) be installed in a zone within 150mm from the top of the wall or partition or within 150mm of an angle formed by the wall or partition.
Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone either horizontally or vertically, to the point, accessory or switchgear.
Where the location of the accessory, point or swictch can be determined from the reverse side, a zone formed on one side of a wall off 100mm thickness or less or partition of 100mm thickness or less extends to the reverse side.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

I guess it is probably best to NOT hijack the zone then! Looks like more holes in the floor joists then (as usual).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back