Some reclaim parquet flooring questions.... :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I'm new to the forum and regularly look here for advice, but I have a couple of questions regarding parquet floor that don't seem to be asked yet!

I've just bought 20 sqm of reclaimed oak parquet floor (I think it's oak). Anyway, they are in differing thicknesses and the condition varies. The floor I am laying it on is old vinyl tiles. These are very well stuck down and I have it on good authority that they contain asbestos, and cannot be moved.

I am currently going through the task of sorting and scraping and have quite a good system going and spending a couple of hours a night chipping away a the 1140 at least I have to do! I can do 3 in about 5 mins - not bad, eh?!

I'm possibly laying them in a double herringbone with a clear satin or matt floor varnish - if such a thing exists.

So.. to the questions:

a) Do I have to screed or is there an adhesive that bonds the blocks to vinyl tiles?

b} Is there a product that removes water marks from the ones that are slightly damaged or nourish the wood before varnishing?

c) They were super cheap aren't in the best of nick I'm afraid, if I get a few photos up can someone tell me what the wood is and what finish I can expect using what I have?

and finally

d) how much hight difference can you allow when laying two blocks of different thicknesses - is a say 8mm difference too much for a sander to take back?

I'm also looking for the best places to buy materials at a great price. I'm on a very tight budget and with all the hard work I'm putting in cleaning the things I don't want them pop out when the cat walks across them! ;)

Excellent, I think that's everything for now - I hope someone can help.

Kind regards

Georgina :)

Sponsored Links
Taking the questions in order.

a) There are adhesives that bond to vinyl, and there are levelling compound that will go over. In both cases the floor will need to be clean and degreased.
For an adhesive look at something like Sika T54
http://www.chauncey.co.uk/datadocs/SikaBond-T54 data sheet.pdf
for a levelling compound something like Ardex NA
http://www.ardex.co.uk/arditex_na.asp
By using a levelling compound you are adding an extra operation (and cost) and will also raise the height of the floor, but the overall effect will probably be a more sound installation if some of the tiles are marginally loose.

b) Not that I am aware of. Try sanding a block surface to see if it goes (or reduces), then get a sample of lacquer or oil from a manufacturer and see if it highlights it, or reduces it. Then make a judgement call.

c) Put the photos up and we will have a go. As per b) above, get some samples and try them. I use these guys for my lacquer, better than the stuff you can get from B&Q etc
http://www.bona.com/en-gb/United-Kingdom/Footerlinks/Contact-us/

d) The sander will remove any thickness you want, it will just take time. (and a lot of sanding paper) You could grade them for thickness as you put them down, using the thickest at one end of the room and the thinnest at the other. An 8mm drop over a room width is not that noticeable. Just sand them smooth between blocks.
Alternatively some wood yards will run them through an industrial sander to get them all the same thickness.

Hope this helps

TT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back